Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SLAM in Process - Need Help!

1. Back To Top    #1

SLAM in Process - Need Help!

Hello and thank you for any help in advance!

We bought a PermaSalt pool last year and decided to convert it to chlorine at the beginning of this season using the method on the website. Due to some family reasons, the pool got in bad shape (algae!!) towards the end of the season. We ended up closing it green knowing we would have some work when opening it in the spring.

Well, I did lots of research on this site, purchased the Taylor K-2006 tester, and took out the PermaSalt tube and replaced it with normal PVC.

I used the test kit to do all the initial tests to see where we started they were:

FC: 0
    CYA: 0
    PH: 7.1
    TA: 140

Did some adjusting on the PH to settle at 7.2 and then added the stuff needed to target a CYA of 40. Then started the SLAM process using PoolMath with an FC target of 16. Last weekend spent two days of testing FC every 1-2 hours and adjusting. Since getting a better handle on how quickly the FC changes (hasn't been all that sunny lately) test it 2-3 times/day. Been brushing, vacuuming, and backwashing daily.

Here are the couple tests I ran yesterday, a week after the process:

FC: 25
    CYA: 30-40 range

Here's where I need help. It doesn't seem like much progress is being made. At this point, I was hoping to at least have the algae turn gray-white and beginning to die! I've added some pictures (all taken with grey skies) of what the pool looks like this morning. The algae always seems to settle in this same spot in the middle of the pool.

Also, the weather in Indiana has been a little all over the place. The water is still in that 55 degree range. Could that be slowing the process?
    IMG_0108.jpgIMG_0107.jpgIMG_0106.jpgIMG_0109.jpg
    24' X 52" Round Above Ground: 14,900 Gallons
    EcoKleer 26" Sand Filter by Waterway
    EcoKleer 1.5hp Pump & Motor by Waterway
    Vinyl Liner
    Dolphin Nautilus Robotic Pool Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: SLAM in Process - Need Help!

First let me welcome you to TFP. Congrats on your test kit and adjusting everything to proper levels before SLAM process. If you think the CYA is closer to 40 then target that.

The hard thing during a SLAM is POP (pool owner patience). I promise you if you keep FC up and brush lots as well as vacuum you will start to see a change.

What is your CC?
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

It's good that you didn't use the "system" for very long. The big issue is that PermaSalt uses copper and silver which are both very slow at killing things. Those metals will always be in your water, but levels will slowly go down through backwashing. Once you get past the SLAM you want to be careful not to let your pH get too high 7.8+ or the copper in the water can stain.

As Lisa said clearing up takes patience. Stick with the SLAM. Test and adjust back to shock level as often as possible.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

If there's any organic debris hiding beneath the murkiness, that will slow you way down, and rob a lot of bleach.

Bleach is an oxidizer - think flameless combustion. It's trying to burn up leaves and twigs and whatever else that might be in there that could be considered combustible. Try vacuuming blind. If the filter starts loading up and pressure skyrockets, you know there was something down there.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Good job, and welcome. You're on your way, just keep that shock level as much as humanly possible, you'll get there.

Jeff
    Katy (Houston, TX) - 15,000 gallon In Ground free form kidney shaped 30'x15' pool with Pebble surface. Spa - 8' round with waterfall. Hayward Swimclear Cartridge filter (not sure which model though - maybe C3025?). Pleatco replacement cartridges x 4, 1.5HP Hayward Century Pump, Hayward Booster Pump (model 6060). Chlorine tab dispenser, which I won't be using. Polaris cleaner. TF-100.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

My pool looked similar yo your pics you added when I started. Feel free to look thetheMy SLAM process linked in my signature. You can do this!
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

7. Back To Top    #7

Following up a week later....still not much progress made. It's looking more clear, but still getting the green circle in the middle after things settle.

Tests last night were:
    FC: 23.5
    CC: 0.5
    CYA: 30

Trying to stay patient, but my husband is starting to challenge the method. I think we are at about 45-50 bleach bottles in (8.25%) and now two full weeks (on weekend #3).

Thank you for all the encouragement!! I'll try to get some pictures in here later today since the sun is (finally) shining.
    Vinyl Liner

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Lots of patience. Sorry your husband had his doubts. Mine did too. It was great to prove him wrong.
    Lisa

9. Back To Top    #9

That's what I'm looking forward to most of all.

Second, is the sparkling pool we had last year.
    Vinyl Liner

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

It is always great to prove hubby wrong.
    Lisa

11. Back To Top    #11

Right! Hey, wait, I'm a hubby. Awwww.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

But you're a believer - so all is good!!
    Vinyl Liner

13. Back To Top    #13

Ppsshhhewww, that was a close one! . I am already trained!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach