Downsides to a SWG?

May 16, 2015
Pooler, GA
From what I have read, there doesn't seem to be a downside to using a SWG other than initial system cost. Maybe the fact that you need to clean the plates.

I am looking to buy a SWG for under $100, so initial cost isn't really even a downside.
http://www.amazon.com/Intex-Saltwater-CG-28669-Electrocatalytic-Oxidation/dp/B00PHWUK42/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

What other downsides are there, if any?

How long on average will it take for the SWG to pay for itself ($100)? I know, lots of variables, but rough guesstimate.

Downsides can be:
1. Increased electricity usage
2. Salt costs, I usually have to add 2-4 per year.
3. Salt water is not so good for the environment. When draining pool, backwashing and splash-out. The grass under and downhill from my overflow struggles.
4. Additional part in the plumbing to cause trouble.

I can't think of any others. For me, it's not so much for the cost savings but for the convenience.

The main downside I see is kind of a combination of Skippy & Richards comments. SWG are wonderful when they are working. In my opinion you start having issues you usually discover it because your pool is going green. Then there is a short laundry list of "what could be wrong". Power supply, control board issues salt level, and several other issues float to the top.

I like the tank of bleach sitting next to my Stenner pump. I look at it each day and can see the chlorine level going down. If I'm lazy and skip,a,day testing I've seen that it had had its ration of bleach.

I love my SWG. As long as you test regularly and know how to dose with bleach as needed you should be fine. I use bleach when the water is cold and when the FC drops as demand increases due to extra swimming, getting hotter and sunnier, etc while I wait for the SWG to catch up. It is very important not to let the FC fall below the minimum level on the Chlorine CYA Chart. If it does then algae will start growing.

You won't regret it!

One thing I forgot to mention, @Issac-1 reminded me. The combo of chlorine and salt has been not so kind to my deck fasteners. I've gone through galvanized nails, and two sets of deck screws on my stairs...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.