VS pump schedule not changing

txnole

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 18, 2014
Amelia Island, FL
Good morning. I'm obviously missing something on a new pump schedule I programmed last night.

I intended to set my VS to run at a higher speed for one hour and then ramp down to low speed; instead, it's just running at high speed continuously.

This was my original schedule:

POOL FEATURE - regular pool swim mode 1400 RPM
Monday - Friday 11:00a - 6:00p
Saturday - Sunday 10:00a - 6:00p

And I added this feature & schedule last night:

FEATURE 2 - extra skimming mode 2600 RPM
Monday - Friday 10:00a - 11:00a
Saturday - Sunday 9:00a - 10:00a

It is now Saturday at 10:30a, but the pump is still turning at 2600.

I have verified that the days of week are programmed correctly and that my AMs/PMs are correct. Still, the pump did not "spin down" to 1400.

I've gone through it a dozen times this morning. What am I missing? What can I re-check and verify? Thanks!!

What you describe should work. So something else you haven't noticed yet must be going on.

By the by, there really isn't any point in ramping up the speed for one hour a day unless you have something that specifically requires it (like a pool cleaner powered by the main pump). You want your normal speed to be the lowest speed that skims effectively. Your total pump run time is also significantly longer than you probably need. Four hours a day is normally enough for a residential pool.

Thanks, JasonLion. I was thinking I must have it correct as well. For grins, I just powered down the unit at the breaker and let everything come back up. Now it's working on the regular pool schedule. I'm not sure how or why, but I'll just have to wait and see what works.

Regarding programming and run time, I suspect we are running long;however, my wife loves to sit out by the pool and listen to the spillover while the kiddo is at school. After school, we're getting a lot of swim time, so I just have it running. I take from your reply that ramping up for skimming is probably a waste, right?

Assuming you have a good circulation pattern setup, the skimmers should be able to pick up most surface debris in roughly half an hour after a period when the pump was off. With that working at some medium speed you can turn down the pump speed and at some lower speed you will find that the skimmer(s) first slow down and then stop skimming effectively and simply cease to clear most of the debris. The more skimmers you have, the more obvious this effect is. With only a single skimmer it is often impossible to slow the pump down enough to notice this effect. Clearing the majority of debris in half an hour is a good benchmark, though this can be disrupted by sufficient wind.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.