Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Light Leak & Repair

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Light Leak & Repair

The pool light had water inside about half way up, I pulled it out and water was coming out of fitting where the power cord goes through to the housing.

2015-05-16_14-31-03.jpg

Ideally I want to put LED bulbs in both pool and spa light fixtures. This looks like a do-it-yourself kind of job, I can pull it all apart, fix, seal with some silicone and put it all back with a LED bulb in there, but wanted to check here first if I am missing something. I have been told that a pool company would want to pull the whole wire and covert to 12 volt, etc. Is that something I should consider?

Thanks for any feedback.
    10k-13k gallon, IG, plaster, with spa, as of 2015 the pool is 8 years old...I think...TF-100 Test Kit, pool pictures on Flickr, Test History
    Pentair: EasyTouch control system, IntelliCholor IC40 SWG, Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter 420 sq. ft., WhisperFlo filter pump, Booster 3/4 hp cleaner pump, WhisperFlo waterfall pump, Max-E-Therm heater, old Krauly pressure cleaner, Borate

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Light Leak & Repair

I have a similar problem. My searching of the internet has found some threads where people report good results with a two part marine epoxy, G/Flex, by West Systems. I also tried just regular silicone and it did not work. I am going to try the G/Flex next.

3. Back To Top    #3

We just had our light replaced on Friday and they had a bear of a time pulling the old cable due to the sealant put into the conduit. You can get a 120volt LED color light as that is what we had put in replacing the old 120 volt SAM color wheel halogen. I saw a post in the past where the guy epoxied the end of the cord where you have your leak but not sure how long it lasted.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

4. Back To Top    #4

I will seal it up myself and report back...it has been raining off and on for days now so hopefully this coming weekend will get it done.
    10k-13k gallon, IG, plaster, with spa, as of 2015 the pool is 8 years old...I think...TF-100 Test Kit, pool pictures on Flickr, Test History
    Pentair: EasyTouch control system, IntelliCholor IC40 SWG, Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter 420 sq. ft., WhisperFlo filter pump, Booster 3/4 hp cleaner pump, WhisperFlo waterfall pump, Max-E-Therm heater, old Krauly pressure cleaner, Borate

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, I tried to get the light working again and now neither the pool or spa light work, maybe I fried the breaker??

• So I have two options, let my buddy come over and help, and he says to splice the wire and hook up a thing and go to 12 volt...might be okay...
    • Or I call someone.

I live in Katy Texas, does anyone have recommendations/advice on a company that could come out and deal with the light fixtures and possible electrical fix at the box? If the price quote is bearable I would consider this option. Maybe the homemade fix is easy, but life is so busy right now and I just want things dealt with.

Thanks.