Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacement pump and calculation advice

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacement pump and calculation advice

Hello,

My Hayward Super Pump 1HP burnt up after just 4 years of service. I've visited my local pool shop where they are recommending moving up to a 1.5HP.

I've done a lot of calculations over the last few days on feet of head, GPM etc., and I'm just not sure what to go with. My pump/filter sit up from the pool with about a 4 foot difference in height, and sits back about 75 feet from the skimmer and floor drain. I've got 1 floor drain, 1 skimmer, 3 returns, 4 deck jets. I'm also plumbed for a slide for the future. Additionally I have a Hayward Heater plumbed in.

Some pool statistics:

20x40 Pool with 33,000 gallons
    Approximately 80 feet of head
    1 1/2" Plumbing
    244T 300lb Hayward Sand Filter

Is it still the best to calculate how many GPM I need in order to turn the pool water over? I read the "Determine Pool Pump Runtime" and it sounds like it may be a good opportunity for me to put in something with variable speeds. Where I live I usually run my pool continuously to keep it clean.

I figured I'd get way more out of my 1HP Super Pump. Is Hayward still a decent pump?
    What would be a good way to control pump on time? Right now the pump is just wired to a manual switch?
    Do I really need to upgrade to a 1.5HP?
    If I am doing these calculations right, it seems I need larger plumbing if the goal is to hit 68.75 GPM in order to turn the pool over in an 8 hour period. Is the calculation on Inyopools "How to size a pump" accurate?

Thanks for your time...

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacement pump and calculation advice

If you read the pump run time article, you should know that GPM and turnover don't really matter and calculating GPM is a waste of time.

You could just replace the pump motor. Less expensive and less work. For a 1 HP SuperPump, a STS1102RV1 is the motor you would want.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Getting a larger pump is just a waste of electricity.

Getting a two speed pump (or motor) would save you a great deal on electricity. A variable speed is unlikely to ever pay back it's higher up front costs.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you both for your replies.

1. Are there some sort of timers that would switch the motor from one speed to the other at certain times?
    2. I noticed that that mount plate is melted from the other motor - can I buy just this part?
    3. Is there a recommended place to go for all these things?

Thanks

5. Back To Top    #5

1. Yes - http://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-T10...ords=T104+T106

2. Yes - http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SPX160.../dp/B00407SLOG

3. Amazon, InyoPools, PoolSupplyWorld, Poolcenter plus many others. Google shopping does merchant reviews which is one way to choose a reputable merchant.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater