Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Not getting water flow

1. Back To Top    #1

Not getting water flow

My 3rd or 4th year opening the pool.

Just hooked up my pump to sand filter yesterday and having an issue. I see water climbing the hose from the pump to the sand filter but not getting any water to come out no matter what setting I have on the multiport. The glass in the multiport gets alittle water in it but not much. I'm just trying to run the filter to Waste and nothing come out of waste port. The flow of water in the hose from pump to sand filter looks alittle strange. I can see the flow going into the sand filter but unless my eyes are deceiving me there also looks like a flow of water in hose going back to pump.

I've checked connections and all look sealed as usual. I put a hose in the piping that leads back to skimmer and water comes out of it.

I'm not sure what to check next. Thoughts ?
    3rd yr pool owner, 16x36 oval IG,Sand Filter, Vinyl liner, 3/4 HP hayward pump,loop loc cover

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Not getting water flow

I've seen fuel hoses separate internally and the pressure gets between the layers and forces the internal layer to close off. I don't see why it couldn't happen to pool hoses. Otherwise, I'm stumped, too.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Not getting water flow

I'm not sure of the exact fix but I tinkered with the pump and filter alittle more and finally getting normal flow . maybe some blockage in the line finally cleared or air. Phew!
    3rd yr pool owner, 16x36 oval IG,Sand Filter, Vinyl liner, 3/4 HP hayward pump,loop loc cover