Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I goofed a bit on my TA. How bad off am I?

1. Back To Top    #1

Ottawa, On, Canada

I goofed a bit on my TA. How bad off am I?

So i went to the pool store as I needed CYA and I knew my Alk and Cal were a bit low. So I let them test my water and they agreed, Alk and Cal were low. They suggested 8 kg of Alk + (Baking Soda), and I bought it added it and forgot to check their math.... oops... Well it turns out they miss read my TA (it was 60 and they read 30), and they had their targe set to 120 where as I had a target of 80-90. Anyways now my TA is 140

So the question is. I know it's high, but is it too high? Will it come down on it's own? If my PH is staying more or less stable is 140 ok? I'd really like to avoid the the whole adding acid and aerating thing if I can.
    27' AG Round (~17000 Gallons or 64000 L)
    Hayward 1.5 HP Power Flo Matrix Pump (2 speed usually run 6hrs high 18hrs low)
    Hayward CC150CAN XStream Cartridge Filter (150 ft^2 120 GPM)
    Hayward AquaTrol SWG
    Installed April 2012

2. Back To Top    #2
    Savannah GA

Re: I goofed a bit on my TA. How bad off am I?

It should be fine in your pool and drift down on its own.
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: I goofed a bit on my TA. How bad off am I?

Plenty of people have fill water higher than that. Your pH may rise faster than it would if TA were in range. When it does, just add acid and TA will come down over time.

You know your vinyl pool doesn't need Calcium, right? If you bought some to add, you wasted money.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!