Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from Marylandistan

1. Back To Top    #1

Greetings from Marylandistan

Good evening! We built our pool last summer and filled it on June 30. Relied on test strips and a few trips to the pool store last summer to maintain the water. But for this year, my TF-100 will arrive on Tuesday! We had tons of fun with the kids (girls now 13/5/3) last year and looking to repeat. It's our first pool, and so far all is well. Plus we've had great experiences with my pool builder and the associated pool store. Great people to work and deal with and they run excellent and friendly customer oriented businesses. We are fortunate in that regard.

Owning a pool hasn't been all fun and games. We did take a chimney cap blowing off of the roof in a snow storm and slicing a safety cover strap over the winter. (Cover is now on its' way back for repair.)

We just reopened our pool for this summer on Thursday and shocked it with 2 lbs of chlorine granules yesterday. Water was/is nice and clear. Water temp was up to 72.5 with our solar blanket and about 5 hours of sun today.

Looking forward to learning more from this forum! Thank you!
    17x35 Oval In Ground Vinyl Pacific Pool, Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Sand Filter, Pentair Kreepy Krauly Legend Pressure Side Cleaner, LED Lighting System, 16 Mil Clear Solar Blanket, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Greetings from Marylandistan

With two pounds of dichlor going in right off the bat, you'll want to pay particularly close attention to your first CYA test and make sure it's not too high. Good luck!
    18'x4' AG Intex Ultra Frame, 6,700 gal., assembled new 2013; Mods: Hayward EC50C90 Perflex filter & 1 h.p. PowerFlo Matrix pump, Fiber Clear cellulose D.E. substitute, Hayward H100ID1 100,000 BTU NG heater, a pair of 2'x20' Sungrabber solar heaters via the original Intex 635T pump, grey Hydro Tools through-the-wall skimmer, Confer steps/ladder system & Cover Free chemical pool cover. The Summer of Mods!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Good job ordering a TF100, it is my fave test kit.
    When you get it give us some test results.

Here are some intro Pool School articles to read while you wait for your test kit
    TFPC for Beginners
    ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here is the Water Balance for SWCGs pool.
    Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
    Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP!
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to the forum!!

Enjoy your time on TFP.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP. post some numbers for us nerds when your kit comes in.
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks guys! Our water looks nice and clear. Temp is up to 73.6 and I just turned on my SWG. My pool store numbers from Friday are as follows: (before shocking the water)

Free Chlorine: 0.8 ppm
    Total Chlorine: 0.9 ppm
    Combined Chlorine: 0.1 ppm
    PH: 7.6
    Hardness: 30 ppm
    Alkalinity: 110 ppm
    Cyanuric Acid: 20 ppm
    Copper: 0 ppm
    Iron: 0 ppm
    Salt: 3120 ppm

She did say to wait on Stabilizer and Calcium Hardness Increaser because those numbers will come up.

I know you wanted the TF100 numbers. I'm curious to see what the comparison will be. That kit with the salt test kit is scheduled for delivery on Tuesday. I was going to add salt because it's towards the low end of the IC40 operating range. But I'm going to wait until my test kits arrive and decide later. Got the little magnetic stirrer yesterday because the TF100 folks were out of stock.
    17x35 Oval In Ground Vinyl Pacific Pool, Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Sand Filter, Pentair Kreepy Krauly Legend Pressure Side Cleaner, LED Lighting System, 16 Mil Clear Solar Blanket, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Is your IG pool plaster or a liner? What granules did you shock with - Dichlor or CalHypo? I'm going to guess CalHypo as she said your CH would come up.

You do know you have fallen in with a bunch of renegades who generally don't believe pool store information and really don't follow their advice....
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Greetings from Marylandistan

Sounds good! If you open a little earlier you can catch some good swimming on occasion here in May. Swam last weekend and this one too. Water temp is 76.
    I'll check my salt cell reading against the strips (actually the drop test) once at the beginning of the season and since it's close I rely on the computer. The cell is going to function off of that reading anyway.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

Welcome to TFP! Looks like you've already received some good advice.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    Is your IG pool plaster or a liner? What granules did you shock with - Dichlor or CalHypo? I'm going to guess CalHypo as she said your CH would come up.

You do know you have fallen in with a bunch of renegades who generally don't believe pool store information and really don't follow their advice....
    It was DiChlor with the local pool stores label on it. And we are a liner pool not plaster.

Funny story to that. One of my old friends had a formed concrete/plaster pool built by one of the big national pool companies. His back yard is beautiful with lots of hardscape. I asked him for a pool builder recommendation and he said even though he loves the finished product he wouldn't recommend the guys he used. He was very frustrated that his took 8 months to finish in the offseason from November to June. Then said if you don't mind a vinyl liner pool, I have two neighbors who LOVED this pool builder. Sure enough they were right. My pool builder is awesome. Quite possibly the best contractor I have ever dealt with in my life. Originally I thought we would end up with fiberglass. But vinyl it is, with a fantastic pool contractor!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreswim View Post
    Sounds good! If you open a little earlier you can catch some good swimming on occasion here in May. Swam last weekend and this one too. Water temp is 76.
    I'll check my salt cell reading against the strips (actually the drop test) once at the beginning of the season and since it's close I rely on the computer. The cell is going to function off of that reading anyway.
    We're down here in St. Mary's by Pax River NAS. Jumped up to 78 today with the solar cover. But we haven't ventured into the water yet. I want the temp to be warm enough that when you walk in, the bottom step isn't a punishment. It's getting there. Everything is on and running properly. I wish we had the computer/wifi interface so I could keep tabs on it real time.

12. Back To Top    #12

Have you ordered one of the recommended test kits?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

13. Back To Top    #13

Have you ordered one of the recommended test kits?
    Ordered the TF100 and the salt water test kits before I joined the forum. Also ordered the magnetic stirring thingie which arrived Saturday. The TF Kits arrive tomorrow on UPS. You would think UPS from NC to MD is faster. Wish the kits were on Amazon so I could order w Prime.

14. Back To Top    #14

Received my Test Kits yesterday. But after receiving an inch of rain the night before, I just played around with the Salt and Chlorine tests. Definitely between 3000-3200ppm for salt. Chlorine was low but I have the SWG on 100% mode so hopefully chlorine will be back up to normal levels tonight and I'll have time to do more testing.

Meanwhile, pollen was pretty thick yesterday. Someone said to add clarifier to drop it to the bottom so it can be vacuumed up. We opened on June 30 last year so this wasn't an issue we encountered. Thoughts?

15. Back To Top    #15

We do not recommend the use of clarifier. That is standard pool store advice so they can sell you a bottle of clarifier.

When getting an unusual amout of water replacement you can supplement your SWG with a little bleach to keep from running the cell at 100%. SWG cells have a finite life span, so the longer/harder you run it the shorter it's life. That is the basis of our recommendation to size the cell you purchase at least twice the size of your pool so you can run it at lower settings.

16. Back To Top    #16

We do not recommend the use of clarifier. That is standard pool store advice so they can sell you a bottle of clarifier.

When getting an unusual amout of water replacement you can supplement your SWG with a little bleach to keep from running the cell at 100%. SWG cells have a finite life span, so the longer/harder you run it the shorter it's life. That is the basis of our recommendation to size the cell you purchase at least twice the size of your pool so you can run it at lower settings.
    Heh - yeah - this time though, that pollen advice was from a coworker. I don't have any clarifier at home anyway. But dropping the pollen to the bottom so it can be vacuumed sounded good.

Indeed my IC40 is double sized for my 18-19K gallon pool. Last summer I ran it at 40% all summer.

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

The pollen should just be gathering in the skimmers or filter if your circulation is working well. This time of year you will always see bits of it on the surface.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

18. Back To Top    #18

Pretty sure the excess I was seeing came off of my solar cover. Left it off for a few hours and the situation "cleared" up.

Now if it would stop raining so I can give my new TF100 and my Salt Test Kit a good workout... Since it arrived Tuesday, we have received an inch of rain the night before so my chlorine was low, and then yesterday I ran the SWG in shock mode, and now today it is raining again and 57 degrees. Pool water was 81 yesterday.

19. Back To Top    #19

Welcome
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by VetteBlue View Post
    Thanks guys! Our water looks nice and clear. Temp is up to 73.6 and I just turned on my SWG. My pool store numbers from Friday are as follows: (before shocking the water)

Free Chlorine: 0.8 ppm
    Total Chlorine: 0.9 ppm
    Combined Chlorine: 0.1 ppm
    PH: 7.6
    Hardness: 30 ppm
    Alkalinity: 110 ppm
    Cyanuric Acid: 20 ppm
    Copper: 0 ppm
    Iron: 0 ppm
    Salt: 3120 ppm
    Ok first TF100 results:

pH 7.5
    Salt 3200ppm
    FC 3.5
    CC 0
    TA 110
    CYA less than 20
    CH 50ppm

Also interesting - the strips and the basic chlorine and ph test kit shows chlorine around 5.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast