Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How bad does it look? Where do i start?

1. Back To Top    #1

How bad does it look? Where do i start?

Bought the house in September, and the pool wasn't opened at all last year. I am completely new to this and am looking to be pointed in the right direction to open the pool up right and not burn my money in the process. Thanks for any advice you can give me, it's around a 22k gallon pool with a sand filter setup. http://i.imgur.com/8GqpMYT.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How bad does it look? Where do i start?

Welcome to the forum Detroit!

You will need to complete what we call a SLAM process on the pool to kill the Algae. It requires raising the chlorine level up, and keeping it up until the pool is cleared. You can begin reading about that process by clicking the links in my signature. You need a proper kit, and a little knowledge which you can acquire here. Others will chime in with help as well. Enjoy your time on TFP.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you Patrick! Gonna order a tf-100 tonight and go through all of the links.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome!

Great picture. We love swamp pictures.

Before anything else, you need to know where you're at chemistry-wise. Pool store testing doesn't cut it, nor do test strips. And most test kits sold by stores won;t read chlorine high enough. There's a lengthy writeup in Pool School, but you could always skip it and head straight for TFtestkits. get the XL option now, you'll need it for that swamp. Yes, it's a chunk o'change, but it will save you at least that much if it keeps you out of the pool store. And no, I don't get a kickback for endorsing it, either.

While you wait for test results, start dredging with a leaf rake.

And when your arms and back get tired, take a break and read some Inspirational Stories. Do what they did. Some of those pools looked worse than yours initially.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

You will find that all of our responses will be repedative. All of what you seek and then some, will be found in Pool School (button top right of every page).

You will need a test kit like the TF100.
    A leaf rake like Richard posted.
    Liquid chlorine
    Knowledge.... Understanding what we tell you and you'll only get that from actively participating in pool school.

Welcome to TFP. Well be here to answer all you're questions.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP!

Good job ordering a TF100, it is my fave test kit.
    When you get it give us some test results and get ready to SLAM Your Pool.

Here are some intro Pool School articles to read while you wait for your test kit
    TFPC for Beginners
    ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
    Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
    Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Been pulling gunk out using this guy http://imgur.com/CEqO256
    When should I turn the filter on? Should I get it up and running and watch the pressure? I grabbed 5 cases of bleach to start. Test kit should be here tomorrow! http://imgur.com/6eKh8Y3

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit306 View Post
    Been pulling gunk out using this guy
    When should I turn the filter on? Should I get it up and running and watch the pressure? I grabbed 5 cases of bleach to start. Test kit should be here tomorrow!
    Can't see it. You ran out of picture space. Easiest is to open an account at some photosharing place and then just post the URL. Photo tutorial

If the dredging is coming up empty, then, yes, I'd say it's time to fire up the pump and see that it works. You'll have to have circulation to do the SLAM, and it'll need to mix well before you take your first pool chemistry readings.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Richard beat me to it, but I was going to suggest the same.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

10. Back To Top    #10

Should be ok now? Will continue dredging tomorrow. Glad I'm not surrounded by trees.

11. Back To Top    #11

So we have liftoff http://i.imgur.com/rhVxqXz.jpg
    Backpressure http://i.imgur.com/ZpGumiO.jpg
    I quickly found out what the spare o rings were for http://i.imgur.com/B6eZxYL.jpg
    My returns seem to be shooting air? Normal? Concerning?http://i.imgur.com/pZcZoLe.jpg
    22K Inground swamp, concrete, hayward SP, sand filter.

12. Back To Top    #12

Pool has been running for about 2 hours now, couldn't get a chlorine reading ( makes sense) Cya less than 20 and ph was reading 8.2

13. Back To Top    #13

Okay... air in the returns is normal after you start the filter up after it's been empty. If it persists more than fifteen minutes, you got problems. It should have gone away pretty much in about two minutes.

You'll need the TA reading to calculate the acid dose to lower pH. Your pH may be higher than 8.2, since that's the limit of the tester. Just enter 8.2 now and 7.2 target and whatever the TA values is currently. Add the acid. Let it mix, and see if you hit it. You might need a second dose.

When pH is good and the filter is working properly, hit it.

14. Back To Top    #14

Returns did not clear up, bubbles for sure. Are they cracked? Would I notice a significant loss of water if that's the case? Skimmer seems to be slowwww
    22K Inground swamp, concrete, hayward SP, sand filter.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit306 View Post
    Returns did not clear up, bubbles for sure. Are they cracked? Would I notice a significant loss of water if that's the case? Skimmer seems to be slowwww
    You have an air leak on the suction side of the system. That's skimmers to pump outlet. Common causes are low water level, the flapper in the skimmer stick, the gasket under the pump basket lid, the drain plugs on the pump, and the fittings. I'd go over everything again, especially those unions with the O-rings. And look in the skimmers. You don't want to see whirlpool with a vortex sucking air.

16. Back To Top    #16

I don't see any gasket on that skimmer, and that drain cap had a leak I didn't notice, I can't get it to deal will have to figure out something at home depot. Made a video to show what I got going on https://youtu.be/anAkJHuKh5s