Dolphin M4 - Doors do not latch well.

May 2, 2015
Sherwood, AR
Second season with Dolphin M4. The design is the same as many others. I researched and understand the manufacture history, variant models, etc.
Upon receipt I notice that the doors didnt latch well, poor design tolerance. However, 99% of the time the doors remained shut during cycle. This season Im 0 of 3.
Anyone experienced this problem and/or fixed? Im about to scour the web..
Anyhow, Im pretty handy and probably can pull it apart and modify it.
House came with dolphin that I found was 10 yrs old (aka hayward tiger shark). It worked great except I found myself making absurd amount of repairs too it (after fabricating fiberglass parts), I decided to retire it.

27k gallons, 18x36, Chlorine, Vinyl

I am also on the second season with an M4. The button only moves at the side furthest away from the center of the cleaner. Moves about 1/4 inch. The button doesn't move at all at the side closest to the center. Mine latches just like it did when new. After reading your post I took a close look at the latch. It does look like something that could fail as plastic ages and gets brittle. Does removing the filter have any effect on how it latches ?

Thanks for taking a look. Filter has no effect. My buttons have virtually no travel, only a little flex. Hard to describe force, but can apply same force on or off button to open door. Can be done with one finger. Latches with just enough force that it will stay closed under its on weight if stood vertical. Figuring faulty latches. No broken plastic. Seems like bad tolerance between hook and edge (aside from no button travel). Think this warrants deeper inspection, maybe trip to vendor.
Thanks again for comparison.

27k gallons, 18x36, Chlorine, Vinyl

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.