Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to replace pressure gauge in Hayward Variflow XL Multiport Valve

1. Back To Top    #1

How to replace pressure gauge in Hayward Variflow XL Multiport Valve

Your guess is as good as mine! image.jpg
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Let's play guess my PSI!

Time for a new gauge
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Duraleigh will make you a deal on a fancy gauge...
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I bought this filter used last year and it has one of those lovely Hayward valves with non-servicable parts. I don't think I can unscrew it without taking the top piece off. I'll get a side pic in a minute so you can see what I mean. Some of that mess inside the gauge is from last year when I used some DE to speed up the clean up. I didn't think it was supposed to get into the gauge.
    TFP Moderator
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

You guys think I'll need to take the valve apart to get the old gauge off? Looking at the picture more closely, I don't think taking the top part off will help. There is some kind of square nut you can't really see in the picture between the gauge and the multiport. I don't think I can get to it, however.

FullSizeRender.jpg

I just moderated myself to change the name on the thread. It felt a little strange!
    TFP Moderator
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Re: How to replace pressure gauge in Hayward Variflow XL Multiport Valve

I don't see how you can take that gauge off. Or have any idea how it was put on there. That's crazy! It will come off, I just hope nothing important gets broken in the process.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

I would use a hacksaw to cut the nipple as close to the gauge as possible. Then use channel lock pliers to unscrew the nipple. Now off to the local hardware or big box building supply of a longer nipple and coupling to screw the new gauge to. Use thread sealent on both ends of the new nipple and gauge nipple. Just remember, you are working with a plastic valve housing so, be gentle with the pliers when screwing the new nipple in. You don't want to strip the housing threads!

p.s. Take the old nipple with you so you can get an exact size match.
    Steve
    32 X 16 inground, 17260 gallons, Vinyl Liner, Triton II TR-60 filter,
    Sta-Rite 1hp pump Model #MPRA6E-147L, CircuPool SI-30 Plus SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Taking the valve apart wouldn't help. If you can get the top faceplate off of the gauge, you should be able to unscrew the gauge. You could cut the faceplate with wire cutters to get it off.

9. Back To Top    #9

You might have to dismantle things.

I wouldn't. I have all kinds of nifty mechanic's tools. I'd just slice the gauge off with a cutoff wheel and use an extractor to pull the threaded stump out. And then I'd put a short pipe nipple and coupling on there to move the new gauge out an inch or so. Okay, enough bragging...

Once you have the replacement gauge in your mitts, see if you can't put a pair of pliers or a crescent wrench on the gauge itself and unscrew it. It'll be hard to get a wrench on the square shank. And if it disintegrates in the process, you were replacing it anyway. That's when you break out the vise grips to unscrew what remains. I'd still put a nipple in there for the future. A big auto parts store or a big hardware store will have brass stuff. Stainless steel or plastic would be better, but I don't know where to look for that in 1/4" NPT.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

I too would try to remove (tiwst off) the faceplate first and see if that gives you enough clearace. Most hardware stores should sell brass and maybe stainless steel 1/4 inch NPT fittings, I would use a short 1/4 inch nipple (1/2 inch long maybe, or maybe even a close) add a 1/4 inch threaded coupler onto the end of it and screw the new gauge into the coupler, even with a close that will add around 1/2 inch to the overall length which I suspect is all you need.

Ike

p.s. out of the big box stores I have found Lowes tends to have a better fittings selection than Home Depot, but I don't recall seeing stainless fittings at Lowes, if you have an Ace Hardware nearby I would try it first.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

11. Back To Top    #11

The top piece is a rotatable dial that allows you to set the starting pressure and when to backwash (see arrows on dial). It snaps off pretty easily. Also, note that it screwed in, so it should screw out.

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

The gauge in this valve is much larger than the replacement gauge. I am dumbfounded on how it got installed.
    Hayward Pool Tech
    80+ Years of Technologically Advanced Pool Product Manufacturing
    poolside@haywardnet.com

13. Back To Top    #13

I got a closer look at it today. What I thought was a square nut is actually a square shaft with some white stuff on one side. You can pull the gauge away from the valve about 1/2". Still doesn't give it enough clearance to turn. Tried to pry the cover off the gauge and got it loose. Face of the gauge is all rusty and snapped in half. Its not leaking water anywhere. If I pull this thing off and discover the former owner modified the valve connection is it going to spray water all over the place until I find a gauge that fits?

I wonder if the former owner pulled the top off and fastened the gauge from the inside.
    TFP Moderator
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by zea3 View Post
    I got a closer look at it today. What I thought was a square nut is actually a square shaft with some white stuff on one side. You can pull the gauge away from the valve about 1/2". Still doesn't give it enough clearance to turn. Tried to pry the cover off the gauge and got it loose. Face of the gauge is all rusty and snapped in half. Its not leaking water anywhere. If I pull this thing off and discover the former owner modified the valve connection is it going to spray water all over the place until I find a gauge that fits?
    Probably. That's why my earlier post said, "Once you have the replacement gauge in your mitts." Mechanics learn things like that the hard way. Learn from others' mistakes.

Take the FC up a couple points before you start tearing things apart, just in case you need to shut down the pump for a few days waiting on some obscure part.

15. Back To Top    #15

With the dial faceplate off, the gauge should unscrew. It's very unlikely that anything is fastened inside. A regular gauge without the dial will screw in.

A 1/4" pipe thread plug will work to plug the hole temporarily, if necessary.

Also, you could crush down the gauge with channel lock pliers to make it clear the valve if necessary.

Overall, it's a poor design.

Note that a gauge with the pipe threads coming out of the back of the gauge won't work.

16. Back To Top    #16

A tiny 1" back mount gauge may fit in there. What does the manual show as the replacement part?

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100