Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2nd year 1st opening with TFP method

1. Back To Top    #1

2nd year 1st opening with TFP method

Started pump 3 days ago and adjusted my levels and started to slam. All is going well but my water is not clearing up. Just Cloudy Blue Color.

Current test results.

FC - 7.0 - adjusted back to 12 checking & raising every 3-4 hours
    CC - 0.5
    TC - 7.5
    PH - 7.8 (lowering was 8+ 2 days ago)
    TA - 80
    CH - 40
    CYA - Less that 30 (Dot does not disappear)

I know I need to raise my CYA and that will also lower my PH so I'm not going to try to lower my PH any longer. What would you recommend? Raise my CYA and just keep slamming and wait it out? If I add Stabilizer it says not to backwash for a week but in my present situation I will not be able to do that since I'm slamming and I've had to backwash at least once a day to keep my pressure down and flow up. Any thoughts?

Thanks for all your reply's.
    Stan
    27' Above Ground w/ new vinyl liner 6-30-14 - 17,000 gallons - Haywood Power-Flo Matrix 1hp pump - Haywood Pro Series model S166T sand filter - Talyor K-2005 test kit w/ FAS/DPD kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2nd year 1st opening with TFP method

If you follow the sock method we recommend for adding CYA, there's no fear of losing all the CYA, because it's not inside the filter. How to add each chemical is in Recommended Pool Chemicals.

Sand filters take a long time to clear the cloudiness. Have you considered adding DE to the sand filter? It's mentioned in the SLAM article.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply. I'll add the stabilizer tomorrow. I did try the DE but within 15 minutes I had almost no flow through my pump and I only added 1/2 cup just to try it. Maybe I'll try a 1/4 cup tomorrow morning and see how that works. Thanks again!!!!!!!
    27' Above Ground w/ new vinyl liner 6-30-14 - 17,000 gallons - Haywood Power-Flo Matrix 1hp pump - Haywood Pro Series model S166T sand filter - Talyor K-2005 test kit w/ FAS/DPD kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by schaya View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I'll add the stabilizer tomorrow. I did try the DE but within 15 minutes I had almost no flow through my pump and I only added 1/2 cup just to try it. Maybe I'll try a 1/4 cup tomorrow morning and see how that works. Thanks again!!!!!!!
    The fast loadup means it caught a lot of stuff.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!