Need advice draining water with a cartridge filter

Re: Lowering water level in pool with cartridge filter

It depends on your plumbing setup. If you have a multi port valve, the waste, backflush, and rinse positions use a line that is separate from the pool return line. Only the filter and recirc positions use the return line. There is no need to do anything with the SWG components.

Answering your questions would be easier if you would add your location to your profile and your equipment to your signature.

Depending on how your equipment is set up, you could get away with removing the winterizing plug on the pressure side of your pump and running the pump.

However, keep in mind that for this to work, your pump must have open space in front of the removed plug.

I have done this several times in a pinch but there are about 12 feet of concrete patio in front of my winterizing/drain plugs.

The water shoots out with great pressure so this won't work if your equipment is in a confined space.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I was thinking it would be easy to remove the drain plug located in the bottom of the filter chamber and plumb it with a valve and pvc pipe to a downspout from roof gutters nearby. Does anyone see a problem with lowering the water level this way?

Seems like a lot of work to drain a few inches off the top. Does your grade allow for a simple syphon using your vacuum hose? That would drain it pretty quickly.

New pool owner. I just learned that I do it have a waste pipe. I'm pondering adding one. In the meantime, I have an SWG. Can I unplug and remove salt cell and drain via that pipe? If I'm not mistaken that's the pipe that feeds the returns.

Do you have a cartridge filter with an air bleed valve on top? You can open the air valve while the pump is running and blow water out that way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.