Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need advice draining water with a cartridge filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Need advice draining water with a cartridge filter

Split from Lowering water level in pool with cartridge filter Zea3

New pool owner. I just learned that I do it have a waste pipe. I'm pondering adding one. In the meantime, I have an SWG. Can I unplug and remove salt cell and drain via that pipe? If I'm not mistaken that's the pipe that feeds the returns.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Lowering water level in pool with cartridge filter

It depends on your plumbing setup. If you have a multi port valve, the waste, backflush, and rinse positions use a line that is separate from the pool return line. Only the filter and recirc positions use the return line. There is no need to do anything with the SWG components.

Answering your questions would be easier if you would add your location to your profile and your equipment to your signature.
    Steve
    32 X 16 inground, 17260 gallons, Vinyl Liner, Triton II TR-60 filter,
    Sta-Rite 1hp pump Model #MPRA6E-147L, CircuPool SI-30 Plus SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Depending on how your equipment is set up, you could get away with removing the winterizing plug on the pressure side of your pump and running the pump.

However, keep in mind that for this to work, your pump must have open space in front of the removed plug.

I have done this several times in a pinch but there are about 12 feet of concrete patio in front of my winterizing/drain plugs.

The water shoots out with great pressure so this won't work if your equipment is in a confined space.

16x36 Vinyl Pool - 22.5K gallons.
    Jandy Stealth 1hp pump - Jandy CS-150 filter
    Jandy Legacy 250k heater - Jandy Ei SWCG
    Jandy Watercolors LED light
    Paramount Vanquish in-floor cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by echo View Post
    I was thinking it would be easy to remove the drain plug located in the bottom of the filter chamber and plumb it with a valve and pvc pipe to a downspout from roof gutters nearby. Does anyone see a problem with lowering the water level this way?
    Seems like a lot of work to drain a few inches off the top. Does your grade allow for a simple syphon using your vacuum hose? That would drain it pretty quickly.
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Poolbill View Post
    New pool owner. I just learned that I do it have a waste pipe. I'm pondering adding one. In the meantime, I have an SWG. Can I unplug and remove salt cell and drain via that pipe? If I'm not mistaken that's the pipe that feeds the returns.
    Do you have a cartridge filter with an air bleed valve on top? You can open the air valve while the pump is running and blow water out that way.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach