May 16, 2015
Templeton CA
I have a new pool in ground pool [plaster with quartz additive] , about 1 year old. Our water is extremely hard and alkaline. Chlorine is fine. pH always increases up to 7.8 each week despite my adding 2 gallons of 15% muriatic acid weekly. I have probably added 40 gallons of 15% muriatic acid over the last year. Total acid was about 240 and I am finally able to bring it down to about 150-160 [after 8 gallons of acid] but no further.

Is this from the plaster installation or from the initial pool fill water alkalinity or from some other issue? I have a cover on the pool, so I do not believe new autofill water is contributing to this.

Any suggestions how to bring this down once and for all so it doesn't keep creeping up?

As your plaster cures you will continue to add acid to keep the pH in check. This will begin to slow during the curing process. I would say give the TA a little more time, it should come down as you continually adjust pH unless your autofill is adding high TA water. Have you tested four fill water?

How long should this process take? The autofill is running through a softener because of the extremely hard water in this area, though the pool was not initially filled in this manner. I wish the pool builder had told us how the plaster can raise the pH/TA like this. Would have helped. Getting some calcium deposit on floor, tile prematurely because of it.....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.