Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High TA

1. Back To Top    #1

High TA

I have a new pool in ground pool [plaster with quartz additive] , about 1 year old. Our water is extremely hard and alkaline. Chlorine is fine. pH always increases up to 7.8 each week despite my adding 2 gallons of 15% muriatic acid weekly. I have probably added 40 gallons of 15% muriatic acid over the last year. Total acid was about 240 and I am finally able to bring it down to about 150-160 [after 8 gallons of acid] but no further.

Is this from the plaster installation or from the initial pool fill water alkalinity or from some other issue? I have a cover on the pool, so I do not believe new autofill water is contributing to this.

Any suggestions how to bring this down once and for all so it doesn't keep creeping up?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High TA

As your plaster cures you will continue to add acid to keep the pH in check. This will begin to slow during the curing process. I would say give the TA a little more time, it should come down as you continually adjust pH unless your autofill is adding high TA water. Have you tested four fill water?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

How long should this process take? The autofill is running through a softener because of the extremely hard water in this area, though the pool was not initially filled in this manner. I wish the pool builder had told us how the plaster can raise the pH/TA like this. Would have helped. Getting some calcium deposit on floor, tile prematurely because of it.....

4. Back To Top    #4

Plaster curing happens fairly rapidly for roughly the first month, and then much more slowly for roughly a year.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

If you want to use less acid overall, switch to full strength acid 31.45%. Most of the half strength acids sold cost just as much if not more than the full strength acid.

I would actively reduce the TA, Lowering Total Alkalinity, the lower TA will make the rise in pH slow down.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

any recommendations for best place to get full strength acid? home depot here only as the 15%

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by biggreydog View Post
    any recommendations for best place to get full strength acid? home depot here only as the 15%
    do you have Lowes? They have both in the paint section. Green label is the "low fume" weak stuff, blue label is the good stuff. Ping is correct, they are both just about the same cost.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

8. Back To Top    #8

Welcome!

I know where you live, even. My brother lives just down the road a bit in Atascadero, really close to the In-n-Out. I've been to Fourth of July in Templeton a couple times. Surreal.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Lowes has 31.45% on the pool aisle near the garden section. HD probably does too.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

You can look in the paint section of the big box stores, that's where they keep the full strength stuff and they keep the 1/2 strength stuff with the pool supplies near me.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process