Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: threads leaking on new booster pump

1. Back To Top    #1

threads leaking on new booster pump

Just replaced my booster pump and went to flex pipe instead of the rigid PVC. Any recommendations on a specific silicone sealant for the new threaded adapters that came with the pump. My teflon tape is not performing a tight seal. Thanks
    house/pool builder
    5x11m pool, 1.5hp pump, sand filter, salt water chlorinator
    4x9m seawater pool, 2.5hp pump, no filter
    6x11m freeform pool, 2hp pump, cartridge filter
    4x8m infinity pool. 2 pumps, 2 cartridge filters
    4x4m spa, 1hp pump, cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: threads leaking on new booster pump

Try a non-hardening teflon paste thread sealer. That seems to work better for the larger (over 1/2 inch) threaded PVC connections.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Pittsburgh, PA

Re: threads leaking on new booster pump

I usually use teflon paste or silicone adhesive. My store stocks boss RTV sealant for silicone adhesive so thats what I use, but I also use the blue nova guard silicone in a calk gun when I have it. That stuff is sweet, we get it with tile sometimes and I keep the extra.

If I do use teflon tape I also silicone lubricate it with a really thick lubricant, also a boss brand but just because thats what we stock.
    Involved in the pool and spa industry
    Pittsburgh, PA