Intex SWG pairing with stock pump/filter

May 16, 2015
Pooler, GA
Hello,

Sorry, I am sure this has been asked, but I couldn't find an answer to my specific question.

I have an Intex Ultraframe 18x48 still in the box.

http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/Intex-18-X-48-Ultra-Frame-Swimming-Pool/22474583

I am interested is using a SWG, but know little about them so far.

I just wanted to get a basic Intex system.

http://www.amazon.com/Intex-Saltwater-CG-28669-Electrocatalytic-Oxidation/dp/B00PHWUK42/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431802812&sr=8-1&keywords=intex+saltwater

My question is, can I just hook this up to the stock 1500gph pump/filter that comes with the pool? At least until I can afford a sand filter upgrade that is, probably next season.

Also, how long should the filter run per day with this installed? I imagine longer that with just the stock setup as this will add a restriction.

Thanks!

Yes, you can hook that up to the pump you have. How long to run it depends upon your CYA (stabilizer) level in your water, how much use the pool gets, how much chlorine you lose daily to sunlight, etc. You'll just have experiment with it until you find a setting that keeps your FC levels in the desired range.

I probably run mine 4-6 hours/day. I don't remember for certain and just opened up today for this year.

Yes, that will work fine. It's been quite a few years and I don't remember the times. It varies over the season anyway. I would run the pump 30min before and after the SWG to make sure there was water flow.

You need to run the pump and SWG long enough to make sure that your chlorine stays above the minimum level for your CYA level on the Chlorine CYA Chart.

Here are some intro Pool School articles to read.
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here is the Water Balance for SWCG pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals
Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.