Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex SWG pairing with stock pump/filter

1. Back To Top    #1
    Pooler, GA

Question Intex SWG pairing with stock pump/filter

Sorry, I am sure this has been asked, but I couldn't find an answer to my specific question.

I have an Intex Ultraframe 18x48 still in the box.

I am interested is using a SWG, but know little about them so far.

I just wanted to get a basic Intex system.

My question is, can I just hook this up to the stock 1500gph pump/filter that comes with the pool? At least until I can afford a sand filter upgrade that is, probably next season.

Also, how long should the filter run per day with this installed? I imagine longer that with just the stock setup as this will add a restriction.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Edmond OK

Re: Intex SWG pairing with stock pump/filter

Yes, you can hook that up to the pump you have. How long to run it depends upon your CYA (stabilizer) level in your water, how much use the pool gets, how much chlorine you lose daily to sunlight, etc. You'll just have experiment with it until you find a setting that keeps your FC levels in the desired range.

I probably run mine 4-6 hours/day. I don't remember for certain and just opened up today for this year.
    6000 gal Intex 16'x48" Ultra frame AG
    Splapool 4500 GPH 1 hp pump w/19" sand filter
    Intex Krystalclear SWG EC8110
    Hayward Dyna-skim
    Intex Auto Robot "Wally"

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Intex SWG pairing with stock pump/filter

Yes, that will work fine. It's been quite a few years and I don't remember the times. It varies over the season anyway. I would run the pump 30min before and after the SWG to make sure there was water flow.

You need to run the pump and SWG long enough to make sure that your chlorine stays above the minimum level for your CYA level on the Chlorine CYA Chart.

Here are some intro Pool School articles to read.
    TFPC for Beginners
    ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here is the Water Balance for SWCG pool.
    Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals
    Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach