Opening our pool for the first time

Apr 6, 2015
Boardman oh
Hi! My husband and I live in NE Ohio, we bought a house in the fall and it has an inground pool. It was winterized but we need to know how to open it up. We are currently filling the water to filter level but have no idea what to do after that. Here is some info...

Our IG pool is 18 X 36 and 26,700 gallons approximately per the calculator. We have a Hayward GM 245 Sand Filter (200lb) and don't know what all the settings mean ie: waste, filter, backwash..how do we start the filter so I can get the CYA level up. What position do I put the filter handle on? There are 2 plugs in the basket filter do we take them both off? What are they for?

HELP!LOL

Welcome! :wave:

The plugs in the basket probably go to the pump and filter, possibly there is one for the heater. You'll just have to hunt for them.

Filter is the normal mode of operation. A good explanation of how a sand filter works is in this tutorial.

If there is any debris in the pool, you'll want to remove it. Use a leaf rake for what you can. Vacuuming will come later, once you have the pump going. Leaf rake:
Casey-LeafRake.jpg

Once the water is halfway up the skimmer opening in the pool, fill the pump basket with water and close it up and then start the pump. It may take 30 seconds to prime. If you don't start seeing something happening and the noise doesn't change, something's wrong. It might take longer than 30 seconds to get going 100%, but you should see it pushing water and bubbles out the returns. Don't forget to pull any plugs out of the returns, too. I'm not sure if they get blocked everywhere. We don't ever close where I live.

Once you have circulation and no leaks, you let the water mix for at least half an hour and take some readings. Test stris and pool store readings don't count around here.

Pool School Article on Opening a Winterized Pool. Test Kits Compared. ABCs

Waste- Pumps your water from the pool to a line that goes out of your pool. Good for lowering your level or vacuuming your pool when really dirty.

Filter- This is what you will be on most of the time. Water from the skimmer and bottom drain go through the pump and then through the filter before being returned to the pool.

Backwash- When your filter gets dirty, this is used to clean the sand and reduce the pressure on your filter.

Chances are, those plugs are for the pump and were removed for winterization. They will need to be reinstalled before you start up.

Welcome! :wave:

The plugs in the basket probably go to the pump and filter, possibly there is one for the heater. You'll just have to hunt for them.

Filter is the normal mode of operation. A good explanation of how a sand filter works is in this tutorial.

If there is any debris in the pool, you'll want to remove it. Use a leaf rake for what you can. Vacuuming will come later, once you have the pump going. Leaf rake:
Casey-LeafRake.jpg

Once the water is halfway up the skimmer opening in the pool, fill the pump basket with water and close it up and then start the pump. It may take 30 seconds to prime. If you don't start seeing something happening and the noise doesn't change, something's wrong. It might take longer than 30 seconds to get going 100%, but you should see it pushing water and bubbles out the returns. Don't forget to pull any plugs out of the returns, too. I'm not sure if they get blocked everywhere. We don't ever close where I live.

Once you have circulation and no leaks, you let the water mix for at least half an hour and take some readings. Test stris and pool store readings don't count around here.

Pool School Article on Opening a Winterized Pool. Test Kits Compared. ABCs

Hi! THank you for the info. The plugs are actually in the skimmer, under where the basket sits. There are 2 holes that were plugged. Do we unplug them both?

Hi! Thank you for the information. The plugs are actually in the skimmer, under where the basket sits. There are 2 holes that were plugged. Do I unplug one or both?
Most likely, one hole goes to the pump and the other to the main drain. Search for a flying saucer looking thing with the pool stuff. If you find it, the second hole goes to the drain and you'll want the diverter valve in there below the basket to regulate flow to the main drain.

lovingHDTV-SkimmerDiverter.jpg
diverter

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.