What do I need to know...?

May 16, 2015
Ashland KY
Hi! I'm new to TFP mostly because this is the first time I have every owned a pool. My grandmother and I moved into our new house back in January and we love it! The pool in in ground surrounded by concrete (not sure of the exact size of the op of my head, sorry!) Anyway - Last year the pool was opened by a local pool company but the home owners then moved and didn't live in the house all summer and then when they decided to sell they had it closed by the same company and the previous home owner had already paid the local company to open it again this year on May 26th. My grandmother had put me in charge of pool care (which makes me nervous as I know NOTHING :( ) Last year the mostly drained the pool (it's little less than half full at the moment) and covered it with a soft tarp-like cover, which has been a nightmare and a hard top has already been ordered. I has a diving board and large entry stairs at one end.

All and all what I am trying to ask is:

- Is there anything that I need to make sure they do or don't do?
- Is there anything I should ask them or make sure they explain to me?
- Any tips?

I have read a lot of the articles in the getting started and it is a lot of great information but a lot of it is Greek to me and I am trying to learn its just a lot to take in!

Any and all information is greatly appreciated and I thank you very much for it!!!!!!

Watch closely and see where they install drain plugs so you know where to remove them next year.

If I had my druthers, I'd let them get the water circulating and then throw 'em out and do all the chemistry myself. Typically, they nuke the pool with shock powders, which - if you've read as much as you say, you know already - adds probably unwanted amounts of CYA or Calcium to the pool. What you need and what they add are often at odds. The only way to know is to get some test results you can trust and then plan accordingly.

If you get nothing else off this website, learn that the only way to manage the pool is by doing your own testing with a proper test kit. Read the article in pool school or save time and order a TF100. I'd advise the XL option now, since that refill is nearly impossible to find. And nobody who has bought a speedstir regrets it.

Welcome to TFP!

Definitely order a TF100 from tftestkits.net, it is what I use.

You need to know if the pool is vinyl, fiberglass or plaster.
If the pump is 1 spd, 2 spd or variable speed.
If you have a sand filter, cartridge or DE.
If there is a saltwater chlorine generator.
If there is a pool cleaner, pressure or suction.
Heater, gas or heat pump
Spa?
How to turn on the pump, set the timer, clean the filter. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/144-maintenance-and-cleaning-of-pool-filters

Here are some intro Pool School articles to read about how to maintain your water
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals to maintain your pool and how to add them.
Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.