Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar cover & foam core pipe questions.

1. Back To Top    #1

Waterford, MI

Solar cover & foam core pipe questions.

Couple questions, I have a 24' round pool. The solar cover as 1 piece is too much to handle. I hate it with a passion.

1.) I found a place that has 1.5" foam core PVC. I didn't ask if they have 1" foam core, if they do have 1" I might get that. I've read people having problems with 3/4" but havent seen any exp with 1". Think 1" is good?

2.) Do I need to cap the ends of this pipe, or no?

3.) 24' round. I'm planning on cutting the cover in half, is this a comfortable size? Should I consider cutting it in 3rds?

Thank you!
    Michigan - 24'x54" AG, approx 15,000g, 2 center drains, Cartridge filter, Aqua Pro 2hp, 2 speed pump 3.5a@1725w / 10.5a@3450w, Hayward Salt & Swim SWG, Poolskim, Aquabot Rover Jr.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Pleasanton, CA

Re: Solar cover & foam core pipe questions.

1) 1" is going to bend a lot but it depends on the length and weight of the cover.

2) No, you want the water to drain out.

3) Should be OK. I have a 16' and 19' length but I also use 1 1/2" pipe.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner