Crazy pH acid demand readings after refilling pool

Mar 28, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
So I refilled my pool last week to dilute the CYA and now I am having just weird pH test results. The pool is 14,000 gallons.

Currently I am at FC: 3, CYA 30, TA 80. Before refilling, my pH was a near constant 7.6, occasionally getting up to 7.8, for which it would take about a quart of acid to bring down. After refilling, my pH goes up from 7.4 to 8.2 overnight. Here is the very weird part - I use the Taylor kit for testing. So I fill the little tube up, it shows 8.2. Then I start putting in drops of the acid demand solution. Before, it would take 2-3 drops to go down .2 of pH, corresponding to about a quart of acid. Now though, 1 single drop changes the test tube color from 8.2 to 7.4, just one more drop changes it from 7.4 to 6.8! So the test kit is basically telling me that about 2 cups of acid will take my pH down for the whole pool by 1.4. I've used the same kit for 2 years and never had crazy results like that. Any idea what's happening?

That would make sense if your TA was really really low, but it isn't so I'm stumped.

Regardless, you do want to lower the PH down to around 7.7 or so. Try adding 3/4 of a cup of acid and see if the acid demand test is correct or not.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.