Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High TA

1. Back To Top    #1

High TA

I have an extremely high TA>300. My pool is 8,000 gallons. My ph is approx 7.6. How much acid should MA should I add at a time? I'm sure I'll have to do this multiple times since TA is so high. Need some guidance on this process please.
    7,900 gallons
    IG Fiberglass
    Sand filter
    Frog System

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: High TA

You can use the pool math calculator to determine how much MA to add. You will have to go in several steps. Add MA, then test later in the day or the next day and repeat.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

I can't seem to get the pool calculator to work actually... I guess I should have said that before sorry!
    7,900 gallons
    IG Fiberglass
    Sand filter
    Frog System

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Are you selecting the the trouble free method at the bottom? What percent MA do. You have?
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

5. Back To Top    #5

I think maybe i have the calculator figured out now. I believe the % is only 20 of my MA
    7,900 gallons
    IG Fiberglass
    Sand filter
    Frog System

6. Back To Top    #6

A few questions back at ya

1) What test kit are you using? If it's strips, trust only the pH, and not very much.
    2) If it's a Taylor or TF100 kit, be aware that you can have static electricity on a fresh bottle of R-009. Check out Extended Test Kit Directions, notes under post 6.
    3) What are the rest of your readings? If you have high CH, you're probably at risk of scaling, so lowering TA is definitely called for. What's the CYA? If it's too high, you'll want a partial drain, so why treat water you're only going to dump?

You probably want to review the Poolmath How-to and Lowering TA.

All that being said... 6 cups of 31.45% acid should put you down to 7.2 or 7.3 pH. You'll see a reduction in TA of about 20 after the first round.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Suggestions on how to add MA? On the bottle it says to submerge bottle and tip over to pour in. Is this acceptable?
    7,900 gallons
    IG Fiberglass
    Sand filter
    Frog System

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by MEdlund View Post
    Suggestions on how to add MA? On the bottle it says to submerge bottle and tip over to pour in. Is this acceptable?
    Sure. Then it sort of floats, and if it does spill, it spills in the pool. Just be sure it's in front of the return stream so it mixes fast.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Got it! Thanks! Going to test water now.
    7,900 gallons
    IG Fiberglass
    Sand filter
    Frog System

10. Back To Top    #10

Today I got a TA reading of 220 and Ph of 7.7. I believe there is some calcium build up along the water line. This means I should try lower TA correct?
    7,900 gallons
    IG Fiberglass
    Sand filter
    Frog System

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by MEdlund View Post
    Today I got a TA reading of 220 and Ph of 7.7. I believe there is some calcium build up along the water line. This means I should try lower TA correct?
    Still waiting for CH and CYA readings. There comes a point with Calcium Hardness where nothing you can do will stop scale from forming. It might be time for a partial drain. Who knows?

Waterline stains can be dissolved with 1:3 acid in a spray bottle and some scrubbing, or a pumice stone and some aching knees and shoulders.