Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intellichlor flashing high salt

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

Intellichlor flashing high salt

Does anyone have input on the accuracy of the Aquacheck salt test strips? Strips are measuring my salt at 3470 (yellow peak at 6-6) but SWG is flashing high salt. Manual says that puts salt above 4500.

Is this more likely a fault with the SWG?
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Intellichlor flashing high salt

I have no idea on the accuracy of the strips, but I can say my Taylor salt set linked in my signature is great!
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

The AquaChek strips are great most of the time, but are occasionally they are just wrong.

It is not at all common for a SWG to break such that it displays high salt when the salt is actually normal. It isn't impossible, just very unlikely.

Have you added salt recently? Adding salt within the last 24 hours will often cause the salt readings to fluctuate quite a bit until the salt has had more time to mix in.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Thanks JasonLion. I should have read my owners Manuel before posting because I believe I need to clean the cell. I haven't added salt in a while but last time was enough to get me to 3500. But I am slamming right now.

Now.....to google how to clean the SWG. Have no clue.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I clean my salt water cell with diluted MA.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I know that's what to clean it with. Don't know how to get to it. Maybe I'm over looking something very simple.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Oh,ok. I am not familiar with your SWG so I am not any help. Does it show in the manual at all?

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe post a pic and someone will know.
    Lisa

8. Back To Top    #8

My Aquacheck salt strips were not even close.
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Ain't YouTube great?

So I watched a video on how to do it but that person said one would need a certain part to screw on the bottom to keep the acid in since the whole unit can't be submerged. I don't have that.

I'll try to post a pic.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Fixed. It didn't need to be acid washed I don't think as the MA didn't cause any foaming but gave it a good rinse with the hose and maybe bought another year or two.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by AimeeH View Post

Fixed. It didn't need to be acid washed I don't think as the MA didn't cause any foaming but gave it a good rinse with the hose and maybe bought another year or two.
    Glad you got it fixed.
    Lisa

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

I should add to this that all this occurred during a SLAM. Observation has shown that when the Chlorine is really high.....I'm guessing 30 plus it starts flashing high salt again. Once chlorine is back down it stops flashing. It took this week of slamming and observing to discover this. Nowhere in the owners manual is that mentioned. Just an observation of mine this last week. Fingers crossed that is the correlation and my salt cell isn't at the end of its life.

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Bleach adds salt so that is probably why your high salt warning is going off. I did not use my SWG during my SLAM.
    Lisa

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

The high salt light flashing seemed to correlate to the high chlorine though. Bleach (sodium hypochlorite) does add some salt but that is small and isn't reduced by the chlorine coming down. But the light stops flashing when the chlorine comes down which I found interesting since that isn't mentioned in the owners manuel.

It would take over 200 pounds of salt to put me in that 4500 "high salt" level that the manual says will trigger the high salt warning.