Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Aerator DIY help with slick supplies

1. Back To Top    #1

Aerator DIY help with slick supplies

Hi, I'm trying to build my own Aerator to begin adding borax...

I've got everything on hand I need, Borax, M-Acid, but no aerator...and I get it that lots of tiny bubbles breaking the surface is what I want to lower TA after lowering PH first with M-acid.

Looks like everyone just builds a DIY PVC aerator and screws into their return...

however, my returns are just cutoff pipes...the 20 year old pool does not have returns that I can screw anything into them...

How can I do the DIY PVC aerator with this setup?

I've already got the pump on high to max aeration that way...and I have no jets or spa fountains, etc, so aeration will need to come from an outside source.

Is there another way to do aeration without messing with the return?
    IG Gunnite Pool Size: 25K gallons (20 x 40, 3'6" to 6" depth) with 2 huge Baker Hydro cartridge filters under the skimmer baskets on the suction side, 2 mech timers
    BRAND NEW PLASTER! Quartzscapes/Diamondbrite, Newer Polaris 280, Brand New Hayward Maxflo VS, Brand New Pentair Intelichlor
    I will conquer the black algae this pool season!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Aerator DIY help with slick supplies

Quote Originally Posted by mrswhitsie View Post
    Hi, I'm trying to build my own Aerator to begin adding borax...

I've got everything on hand I need, Borax, M-Acid, but no aerator...and I get it that lots of tiny bubbles breaking the surface is what I want to lower TA after lowering PH first with M-acid.

Looks like everyone just builds a DIY PVC aerator and screws into their return...

however, my returns are just cutoff pipes...the 20 year old pool does not have returns that I can screw anything into them...

How can I do the DIY PVC aerator with this setup?

I've already got the pump on high to max aeration that way...and I have no jets or spa fountains, etc, so aeration will need to come from an outside source.

Is there another way to do aeration without messing with the return?
    If you have a submersible pump, use it. I know at least one person has hooked a hose and sprinkler up to the pump and attached it to a ladder so it showered the pool surface.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Maybe, just maybe if you can get the end of some tubing (1/4" or smaller) posistioned next to the return or partially in the flow of the return, the force of the water coming out will suck air through the tubing (venturi effect). I dont know how you would hold it there but may be worth a shot to see if it works. You can get clear tubing from Lowes pretty cheap.
    16k AG Vinyl Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

How about this-
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

If you can hold a length of 3/4 or 1/2" PVC at a 90 degree angle to your return, you should be able to get it to suck the air out of the pipe if it's at the perfect angle and height. Once you find it, secure the pipe to the decking somehow. You'll have bubbles galore.
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.