Aerator DIY help with slick supplies

Dec 25, 2011
Charleston, SC
Hi, I'm trying to build my own Aerator to begin adding borax...

I've got everything on hand I need, Borax, M-Acid, but no aerator...and I get it that lots of tiny bubbles breaking the surface is what I want to lower TA after lowering PH first with M-acid.

Looks like everyone just builds a DIY PVC aerator and screws into their return...

however, my returns are just cutoff pipes...the 20 year old pool does not have returns that I can screw anything into them...

How can I do the DIY PVC aerator with this setup?

I've already got the pump on high to max aeration that way...and I have no jets or spa fountains, etc, so aeration will need to come from an outside source.

Is there another way to do aeration without messing with the return?

Hi, I'm trying to build my own Aerator to begin adding borax...

I've got everything on hand I need, Borax, M-Acid, but no aerator...and I get it that lots of tiny bubbles breaking the surface is what I want to lower TA after lowering PH first with M-acid.

Looks like everyone just builds a DIY PVC aerator and screws into their return...

however, my returns are just cutoff pipes...the 20 year old pool does not have returns that I can screw anything into them...

How can I do the DIY PVC aerator with this setup?

I've already got the pump on high to max aeration that way...and I have no jets or spa fountains, etc, so aeration will need to come from an outside source.

Is there another way to do aeration without messing with the return?
If you have a submersible pump, use it. I know at least one person has hooked a hose and sprinkler up to the pump and attached it to a ladder so it showered the pool surface.

Maybe, just maybe if you can get the end of some tubing (1/4" or smaller) posistioned next to the return or partially in the flow of the return, the force of the water coming out will suck air through the tubing (venturi effect). I dont know how you would hold it there but may be worth a shot to see if it works. You can get clear tubing from Lowes pretty cheap.

If you can hold a length of 3/4 or 1/2" PVC at a 90 degree angle to your return, you should be able to get it to suck the air out of the pipe if it's at the perfect angle and height. Once you find it, secure the pipe to the decking somehow. You'll have bubbles galore.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.