Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chloramine and FTP méthod

1. Back To Top    #1

Chloramine and FTP méthod

Hello,

I have a quick question this morning.

Why i have limited chloramine if i use thewTFP method?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
    Sorry for my english, je suis francophone
    I live in north, no ice in my pool since may 1 !
    Stylus aboveground swimming pool 45 000 liters
    18' round and 52" high with sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chloramine and FTP méthod

Chloramine is the bad stuff. That's what smells like a public pool. You want none. I hope that answered the question.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

If you mean CC-----combined chloramines----the bad stuff, it's because you are keeping your FC in range with your cya and the rest balanced too.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by YoRgH View Post
    Hello,

I have a quick question this morning.

Why i have limited chloramine if i use thewTFP method?
    If you follow the guidelines here you will not. If you are doing a SLAM procedure, part of it being completed is Less than 1.0 PPM CC. After that, with proper consistent balance, you won't have any.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

It is more a chem question. Why the chloramine formation réaction stop ?

6. Back To Top    #6

Because a high enough FC will sanitize and................oxidize..........(break them down) those formations.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    Because a high enough FC will sanitize and................oxidize..........(break them down) those formations.

And the Sunlight will as well.....
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok, keeping my solar cover may cause chloramine rising ?

9. Back To Top    #9

Not if you have it off regularly for any reasonable amount of time, no. I think you are overly concerned about this issue. While CC is very important, it's rarely an issue in residential outdoor pools that are maintained fairly well in terms of Chlorine balance. Very rarely....
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

10. Back To Top    #10

Chloramines are formed when chlorine reacts with ammonia and some organics. In a low bather-load pool such as most residential pools, there is a very small amount of such ammonia and organics being introduced into a comparatively large amount of water. Chlorine will continue to oxidize most chloramines to final end products which is why you don't normally see a buildup of Combined Chlorine (CC). The UV in sunlight also helps by both directly breaking down some chloramines (dichloramine in particular) and indirectly by breaking down chlorine to produce very powerful but short-lived oxidizers called hydroxyl radicals. These hydroxyl radicals can oxidize some organic precursors before they get a chance to react with chlorine to form chloramines.

The only thing special about the TFP method that results in a more consistently lower CC is that a reasonable active chlorine level is maintained in the pool at all times. Accurate measurement and consistent dosing result in consistent disinfection and oxidation.

My own pool has a mostly opaque electric safety cover on it except when the pool is in use nearly every day for about an hour at which time at least part of the pool is exposed to sunlight. I consistently measure < 0.2 ppm CC (i.e. the limit of detection in the FAS-DPD chlorine test using a 25 ml sample size). It's most likely < 0.1 ppm CC and the primary component of CC is likely to be monochlorourea which is innocuous.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek View Post
    Chloramines are formed when chlorine reacts with ammonia and some organics. In a low bather-load pool such as most residential pools, there is a very small amount of such ammonia and organics being introduced into a comparatively large amount of water. Chlorine will continue to oxidize most chloramines to final end products which is why you don't normally see a buildup of Combined Chlorine (CC). The UV in sunlight also helps by both directly breaking down some chloramines (dichloramine in particular) and indirectly by breaking down chlorine to produce very powerful but short-lived oxidizers called hydroxyl radicals. These hydroxyl radicals can oxidize some organic precursors before they get a chance to react with chlorine to form chloramines.

The only thing special about the TFP method that results in a more consistently lower CC is that a reasonable active chlorine level is maintained in the pool at all times. Accurate measurement and consistent dosing result in consistent disinfection and oxidation.

My own pool has a mostly opaque electric safety cover on it except when the pool is in use nearly every day for about an hour at which time at least part of the pool is exposed to sunlight. I consistently measure < 0.2 ppm CC (i.e. the limit of detection in the FAS-DPD chlorine test using a 25 ml sample size). It's most likely < 0.1 ppm CC and the primary component of CC is likely to be monochlorourea which is innocuous.
    Thanks for the explantation!