Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Planning purchasing a pool robot

1. Back To Top    #1

Planning purchasing a pool robot

So I'm getting ready to purchase a pool robot. I've done some research , read reviews on here, Amazon, etc. I believe I've decided on the Dolphin ZX5. Is there any other brand or model I should reconsider? This will be my first robot so I'm unfamiliar with them. Anyway, anything else I should reevaluate, like Aquabot or any other of the multitude of cleaners available?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Planning purchasing a pool robot

Are you sure that's not the Z5? Or with the model year change is that the newer version of the Z5. In either case, many of us here have different versions of the Dolphin models and anecdotal evidence shows they are good units. I've had my M5 for over a year and am still very happy.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    Are you sure that's not the Z5? Or with the model year change is that the newer version of the Z5. In either case, many of us here have different versions of the Dolphin models and anecdotal evidence shows they are good units. I've had my M5 for over a year and am still very happy.
    Ah yes my bad it is the Z5. I was a bit hung over this morning posting that.
    1972 - 22,500 gallon, In-ground Kidney shape Gunite pool built by Fiesta pools (2015 remodel), Sta-Rite sand filter Model 9462404 side mount ( Triton II TR60 is newer Equivalent), 3.1 sq ft., Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump, Leslies Coppertherm (Raypak) PL 260AEN 260,00 BTU Heater, Anchor Defender Mesh Safety Cover, Taylor K2006 test kit, Dolphin Z5 Robotic Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

The Z5 is the on line version of the M5 that I have. Minor differences in the two,units for,the different sales networks. Were I to buy one again it would probably be the Z5.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

A robot is one of the best investments you will make. The Z5 gets good reviews.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

6. Back To Top    #6

My Dolphin isnt as advanced as the Z5, but its a great robot anyhow.

The general consensus as I see it, is that Dolphin makes a good product. Very few are dissatisfied.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    My Dolphin isnt as advanced as the Z5, but its a great robot anyhow.

The general consensus as I see it, is that Dolphin makes a good product. Very few are dissatisfied.
    That is what I seemed to find. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something else. Makes me feel better about spending that chunk of change!
    1972 - 22,500 gallon, In-ground Kidney shape Gunite pool built by Fiesta pools (2015 remodel), Sta-Rite sand filter Model 9462404 side mount ( Triton II TR60 is newer Equivalent), 3.1 sq ft., Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump, Leslies Coppertherm (Raypak) PL 260AEN 260,00 BTU Heater, Anchor Defender Mesh Safety Cover, Taylor K2006 test kit, Dolphin Z5 Robotic Cleaner