Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool light ground wire

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool light ground wire

Hey guys. I'm new here and trying to get some help. Trying to take out old lighting fixture that was bad and having a problem with pulling the wire out. In doing so I took off the sealant that covers the ground wire and screw. My question is, when I do run new wire to a new light and reattach existing ground wire , does the ground wire need to be sealed again from the water ? If so,with what ? Hoping that it doesn't because I will have to drain water to seal it. Thanks for any help !!!

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Pool light ground wire

That is the bonding wire and yes it needs to have the connection sealed to prevent corrosion and possible loss of bonding.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

3. Back To Top    #3

3M scotchcast 2136 potting compound is what you want to use.
    -Shotcrete Pool. Pebble Sheen. Tile by Dal Tile CW27 Winter Blues. Pool dimensions 45x19 24,360 gallons. Spa dimensions 7x7 825 gallons. -Hayward Equipment: OmniLogic, Main filter pump Ecostar SP3400VSP, Spa pump Ecostar SP3400VSP, Filter 700sq ft Cartridge Filter HCF7030C, T-Cell 15 SWG, GVA 24 valve actuators, Universal ColorLogic 12v LED lights, H500FDN Natural Gas 500,000 BTU heater, TF100 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys !!!

- - - Updated - - -

I got one more question, If I don't put a new light in does that bond wire still have to be connected and sealed?

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, the light niche requires a properly connected (i.e. potted) bonding wire, with or without a light installed.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thx u Jason. I'm still trying to pull that darn old wire out.