Newbie alert! Intex SWG and a heat pump...

Paul D

Apr 20, 2015
Manchester UK
Hi. I'm very new to this, and being in the UK means very little local support.
Over the last three years, I've progressed from a Intex 10'x30" metal frame AGP to a 12'x30". This year I have just installed a metal wall 12'x48" Bestway Poseidon.
I've just been using multi chem chlorine tablets to keep everything clean. Since I only use the pool for four months then drain, I've had zero problems. I used a Intex electric 3000 watt heater.

Last year, I purchased a Intex saltwater pump/filter all in one. I only used it in pump/filter mode. But this year, I intend to use it as a SWG as well.
The problem I have is there seems no way to run the filter/pump longer than the SWG. This will cause problems with my new air source heat pump. If I set the SWG part to run for 4 hours a day, the pump/filter only runs for the same length of time.
I need the pump to run a lot longer to heat the pool. The maximum time the Intex SWG can run is 12 hours, but even at that length, either the heater will need more time or the SWG will generate too much Chlorine.
I can manually set the pump to run all the time, but this switches off the SWG. I would have to manually turn the SWG on every day.
Surely this cannot be right and I'm missing something?
Intex must realise people need the pump running to even after the SWG has done it's job? (without having to manually switch modes)

Any help would be appreciated....Paul

Hi Richard, thanks for the response. It's a Intex CS8231 Saltwater/Pump/Filter combo. The timer settings are for how long the SWG runs for. After running for a set time, say two hours, the whole pump shuts down into standby mode. 24 hours later, it runs for two hours again. This is not long enough for the air source heat pump to heat the pool. I thought the SWG just shut down and the pump carried on working.
There seems no way to adjust how long the pump runs for, it is linked to the SWG run time.
You can put the unit into "pump only" mode, this then runs 24/7. Unfortunately, this means the SWG is disabled.
I cannot think why Intex would design it this way. There should be two timers. One for the pump and one for the SWG. I can understand that the SWG cannot operate if the pump wasn't running etc.

I've been busy this morning scouring the internet. It seems there is no way of running the pump longer than the SWG without manually overriding it daily.

I've decided to sell the CS8231, and get a Intex pump/sand filter and separate SWG. Intex now do a combined Ozone/SWG. From what I gather, it removes the copper element, so might be better than the older generation SWG.
Not sure what advantage Ozone offers, but since it adds a feature yet is still a SWG then i'm willing to give it a go.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.