First Timer Chemical Questions

Apr 25, 2015
Pasadena, CA
So i just received my TF100 kit and have not used it yet. But I did have my water tested at the pool store and these are the numbers I was given. I'm planning on testing myself tomorrow to confirm the numbers (assuming i do it correctly my first time).

FC 10
CYA 50
TA 100
pH 8.0
CH 270

I went out and bought Muriatic Acid (15%) and Lowe's conditioner/stabilizer for the pH and the CYA. My question is should I deal with the high pH or the low CYA first? According to the PoolMath calc, adding the right amount of stabilizer will both raise my CYA, and lower my pH, so maybe I don't even need the MA at this time. This is all new to me, thx.

We trust your own testing more than anything from the pool store.
You should not do anything until you test the water.

How does the water look? Any reason to need to SLAM?

Normally you will want to deal with pH first, but since CYA is acidic and will lower pH, and your pH is not yet into the high danger zone, I would suggest adjusting CYA (it can take several days to dissolve, maybe more than a week, it helps if it is hanging in a sock in front of a good water flow, and if you kneed it a few times per day. Remember test CYA in full sunlight with the sun to your back, see this you tube video for help, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxaqoW-_MCs it is the hardest test to get right, but thankfully you can pour it back and forth for several minutes until you are confident in your results.

Okay, i'll try just adding CYA first. Yeah i read on here it's best to put in a sock and put in the skimmer and that it may take a while to dissolve. I'm not supposed to continually run my filter until it dissolves though, am I? I'm running it about 4-5 hours a day right now. According to PoolMath calc, I need to add 70 oz of CYA...that's a big sock!

I would suggest hanging it in front of a return if possible instead of the skimmer, the highly acidic conditions when the pump is off could hard the plumbing seals, etc. Personally I hang it from my diving board, which is sort of in front of a return, not the best place, but it does make for something easy to tie off to.

Im with Isaac on haning it in front of a return. That's what I do. And if you have an old pillow case, it makes a great CYA bag for haning it.

Be SURE not to add too much CYA, maybe add it 2 phases. Aim for 65, and then test, then add a little more if you need to. Much safer that way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.