Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is that smell?!?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is that smell?!?

Wow. So yesterday walked outside and it smelled like something died a week ago. We thought it was the trash & cleaned & bleached it. The crews were here working in about a foot of mud and muck - I was so embarrassed of the smell. My PB showed up to check on the job & I mentioned the smell. He said he thinks it's rotting grass from the rain & mud piled in top of it. Gross. I had no ideas "grass" could smell so rank. Anyone ever heard this before?

Or maybe I've watched too many episodes of Snapped & took advantage of the excavation I mean, it would be the perfect spot to dispose of something.

Kidding, of course.
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is that smell?!?

Dunno your neighbor situation, but one of the most foul odors on earth is the recently rainsoaked backyard of the neighbor who owns multiple dogs, leaves them outdoors all the time, and never cleans up after them. By far the best housefly nursery too.
    Or maybe I've watched too many episodes of Snapped & took advantage of the excavation I mean, it would be the perfect spot to dispose of something.

Kidding, of course.

3. Back To Top    #3

This is another reason to remove the sod under your above ground pools. I have also heard of members using old carpets under their pools ... with horrendously smelly results.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yea, rotting grass is awful smelling for sure.

Eyyyyyuuuuk
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

It is definitely the grass and sod. When we removed our hillside to make way for our pool, the second go around, we unearthed rotting sod. Smelled horrific!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6
    Chrisman, Illinois (East Central Illinois)

Oh, yes...I remember that smell. It's pretty rank.
    27' round Seaspray Evolution, AG, 17,100 gallons, Pump: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Dual Speed 1.5 hp, Filter: Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter, June 18, 2014, Kreepy Krauley Lil Shark, TF-100 test kit, Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System

7. Back To Top    #7

I missed out on that little pleasure I guess. I stripped the sod and relaid it elsewhere prior to the dig. Couldn't bear to destroy the best patch of grass on my lot. Fortunately I had somewhere else that could benefit from it.
    40k gal freeform, IG pebblesheen, 9'x'6' raised spa, 2-1/2 hp Whisperflo, 520 sq/ft cartridge, Legend w/ booster, Intellibrite 5g in pool @ spa, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator(retired),
    Mastertemp 400k BTU, 3x3 hp Whisperflo Swimjets, 2x2 hp Whisperflow for 15ton moss rock waterfall, Intelitouch Controller, 850 sq/ft Travertine deck, Gas/Wood firepit,
    Autofill, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

8. Back To Top    #8

Its the grass. Its composting. Peppy LePew would be proud!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

9. Back To Top    #9

It could be the sod or even old organics from the pool excavation itself. It's not unusual for disturbed ground to reek.
    18' x 36' saltwater inground vinyl pool

10. Back To Top    #10

Definitely could be the mud. Here in the coastal Carolinas we have stuff called Pluff Mud. It can really smell....

11. Back To Top    #11

Sorry... I'll stand downwind next time.
    23.6x14 IG free form ~8K gallon, Pentair VS 3050 Intelliflo, GloBrite LED lighting w/IntelliBrite controller, Aztec Cobalt water tile. CLI Carolina Blue pebble finish, Bronze pool cage, 336 sqft Heliocol solar heating. Build Thread and landscaping Solar heating install

12. Back To Top    #12

Weird it's gone today. But it stunk bad for a day or so.
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Maybe it decomposed enough.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process