Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Added Polyquat and FC tanked

1. Back To Top    #1

Added Polyquat and FC tanked

I added an initial dose of polyquat (12 oz) last night and my FC was at 1 ppm tonight. Today was cloudy an I got about 2 inches of rain. My FC normally doesn't drop that bad with rain. My CYA is at 40 and I've been maintaining a FC level of 5 ppm. Lately, I've been loosing 1 to 1.5 ppm per day and that's with 10 to 12 hours of sun. Is it possible the large dose of polyquat killed by FC or is this a sign of something bad to come?

I'll be raising by CYA in a few weeks bc I get so much sun and I'm always fighting algae.
    18'x54" Round AGP, 7,600 Gallons
    150 sq ft Cartridge Filter, 2-speed 2hp pump (Hard Plumbed)
    TFPC Method
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Added Polyquat and FC tanked

Ok,

1.5 loss per day is expected. With a lot of full Sun on the pool, I would expect even more. I would expect more even if the Cya was in the suggested range as well. Just curious why you are waiting a few weeks to add Cya if you know you are low? Algae problems are due to inadequate FC levels is all. This is why you are fighting it all the time. What is your current Cya level right now? If you always have 5PPM FC, you shouldn't have Algae with low Cya especially. It sounds like you need to do a SLAM. When you find this reply, run a full set with the TF100 and post back. We can help you fix this no problem.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Actually, I have found in the past that large doses of polyquat fight/consume chlorine more rapidly in my pool as well. (I don't even use it anymore, but used do prior to AA treatments.)

I would just check more frequently and keep dosing your FC to its higher end for another day (eg 7) and see if after that you were still dropping.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

4. Back To Top    #4

Since I was home today, I checked my FC midday and mid-afternoon. More major drop in FC so I brought the FC back up and checked the CYA. Unfortunately, I got caught with my pants down on the reagent and came up a tiny bit short, but I made a conservative estimate and added CYA. I ran a sample to a nearby pool store, but their numbers in all categories were significantly different from mine, so I went with my numbers because my testing chemicals are less than a year old.

Ordered more reagent on order. Thanks for the help. Yall are awesome.
    18'x54" Round AGP, 7,600 Gallons
    150 sq ft Cartridge Filter, 2-speed 2hp pump (Hard Plumbed)
    TFPC Method
    TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Chlorine must be maintained above the minimum level for your CYA level on the Chlorine CYA Chart
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach