Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Are suction cleaners mainly for sand filters because of the backwash option?

1. Back To Top    #1

Are suction cleaners mainly for sand filters because of the backwash option?

We just finished remodeling our pool and we went with the Pentair 520 cartridge and it filters pollen and fine particles much better than our old sand filter. The pressure cleaner works fine but there always seems to be a fine layer of dust/pollen that it just stirs up. I like the idea of also getting a suction side cleaner to get the fine stuff but I just seems like it's going to clog the cartridge filter much faster. I guess the fine particles are going to make it to the filter one way or another. Are there a lot of people with cartridge filters that mainly use suction cleaners?
    30,000 Gallon geometric 40'x20' French Gray Quartzscape, 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ,Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 520sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Intellibright 5G

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Are suction cleaners mainly for sand filters because of the backwash option?

Please update your location with the part of Texas you are in so we can give better advice, either nearby city or region, Texas covers many climate zones, and conditions, for example in this case are we talking about west Texas dust or something more mundane? (for those that don't know west Texas dust is a unique substance, some suspect it is the illegitimate child of baby powder and super glue.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Are suction cleaners mainly for sand filters because of the backwash option?

I think most folks really dont consider which type filter they have when considering a cleaner.
    The 520 Cartidge is a nice big one, so that's good.

I really dont see any advantage in a suction side vs pressure side cleaner in the context of your post.

If you are considering a different cleaner, have you considered a robot? They are very good at cleaning very fine dirt, even the illegitimate child kind, from the pool. Most of them use pleated filters in them that trap those very fine particles and the filters are really easy to clean.

A robot would get the dirt out, and the added bonus is that stuff wouldn't go into your filter. I know they are considerably more expensive than a suction side cleaner, but a lot of us think its a good investment considering the ease of use, electric usage and it dont put all that stuff in our filter which will extend the cleaning time of it.

Quote Originally Posted by redixson View Post
    We just finished remodeling our pool and we went with the Pentair 520 cartridge and it filters pollen and fine particles much better than our old sand filter. The pressure cleaner works fine but there always seems to be a fine layer of dust/pollen that it just stirs up. I like the idea of also getting a suction side cleaner to get the fine stuff but I just seems like it's going to clog the cartridge filter much faster. I guess the fine particles are going to make it to the filter one way or another. Are there a lot of people with cartridge filters that mainly use suction cleaners?
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

I am perfectly happy with my suction cleaner (barracuda g2) and cartridge filter. The pump strainer basket catches anything big, and the rest winds up in the cartridge. I probably go 6 or 8 weeks between cartridge cleanings.
    15k in-ground plaster, Hayward C900 cartridge, 3/4hp single speed pump, Barracuda G2 cleaner, TF-100