Clarification on where to pour chemicals

Jim H

LifeTime Supporter
May 12, 2015
Monroe/NJ
So most of the instructions say to pour chemicals in the deep end by the returns. The problem is that my returns were put in the shallow end. Is that unusual? Anyway the shallow end is only 3 feet so I'm concerned about pouring muriatic acid in 3 feet of water and to a lesser extent the bleach, even if it is at a return. I've been pouring in the deep end and immediately pushing the water towards the center with the pool brush- does this seem like a decent strategy?

Since my deep end return is on the far side of the pool, I often find myself pouring in chemicals in front of the shallow end return. I'll put the gallon jug in the water until it is almost neutrally buoyant, and slowly pour so the tip is very close to the water, no splashing.

IMO, I think in front of the return is better than not, even in the shallow end.

I put my chemicals in both the deep and shallow ends. My pool is currently using about 16oz/day of bleach, so I'll do roughly 12oz in the deep and the remaining 4oz in the shallow end.

*** EDITED ****

JVTrain, great idea about brushing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.