Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Clarification on where to pour chemicals

1. Back To Top    #1

Clarification on where to pour chemicals

So most of the instructions say to pour chemicals in the deep end by the returns. The problem is that my returns were put in the shallow end. Is that unusual? Anyway the shallow end is only 3 feet so I'm concerned about pouring muriatic acid in 3 feet of water and to a lesser extent the bleach, even if it is at a return. I've been pouring in the deep end and immediately pushing the water towards the center with the pool brush- does this seem like a decent strategy?
    Inground Pool Completed April 2015
    Salt Water Generator- Nature 2 Fusion Soft
    33,500 gallons, Gunite/White Plaster
    Cartridge Filtration
    Heat Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Suwanee, GA

Re: Clarification on where to pour chemicals

Since my deep end return is on the far side of the pool, I often find myself pouring in chemicals in front of the shallow end return. I'll put the gallon jug in the water until it is almost neutrally buoyant, and slowly pour so the tip is very close to the water, no splashing.

IMO, I think in front of the return is better than not, even in the shallow end.
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Central Minnesota

Best to do it in front of a return, even in the shallow end. A good practice is to also brush the bottom of the pool in the area below and in front of the return after adding chemicals, especially in the shallow end.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

I put my chemicals in both the deep and shallow ends. My pool is currently using about 16oz/day of bleach, so I'll do roughly 12oz in the deep and the remaining 4oz in the shallow end.

*** EDITED ****

JVTrain, great idea about brushing.
    14,000 Gal IG Pool/500 Gal Attached Spa
    Pentair Whisperflow 1hp Single Speed Pump
    Sta-Rite Posi-Flo PTM-135 Cartridge Filter
    Hayward H400 Natural Gas Heater