Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: When and what conditions to test?

1. Back To Top    #1

When and what conditions to test?

Do i test in the morning or evening? With the pump on or off?
    If I test with the pump on, should it be running for a certain amount of time before I test?

I am getting my Taylors kit on Sunday. I am so over chain pool stores lack of knowledge and Bog box stores selling stuff that actually makes more problems.
    Thank you to the admins. I had gone through TFPC's Pool school tonight and want to punch some pool store employees.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: When and what conditions to test?

You'll need some bright sunlight to do the CYA test. Otherwise, time of day doesn't really matter. Whatever works best for you. The pump should be on for at least half an hour before you test and half an hour after you add something.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP and congrats on taking over your pool! Richard covered the rest.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

Personally, I like testing in the evening/night after the sun has hit the trees. It's a good time of day for me and I have my pump timer set to start for it's evening cycle for about 1 hr before I usually test. I also like this time of day as when I need to add bleach to the pool, the FC for the day will be at it's highest point overnight and not be consumed by the sun in any way until 8 hours later. Allows my FC to be closer to the target level for more hours in the day.

Welcome to TFP and good luck! Ask lots of questions if things aren't clear after perusing Pool School and searching for similar topics on the forums. It's a lot to soak in, but once you put it into practice it will all come together.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

Remember once you get everything balanced and you get to know your pool's trends you don't have to do all the tests all of the time. For me that means testing FC/CC about 2- 3 times per week, pH every other week (my pH is very stable, and rarely needs adjustment), CYA about every 2-3 months, TA and CH 3-4 times per year (vinyl pool that does not need CH, and very low CH fill water).
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

I made the unfortunate mistake of spending hundreds of dollars at a pool supply store on CYA reducing solutions, Phosphate solutions, over priced Chlorine, conditioners, and everything else under the sun. I guess they saw me coming. 2 rounds of Bio-Active and my CYA level never changed. Ordered my Taylors kit yesterday off Amazon. Does anyone know of a good software to track pool test results. I love the pool math spreadsheet however I would like to track trends and gain a pool history... Any suggestions?. Also I hm totally against Big Box stores and chains at this point but I did see that Lowe's sells a 12.5% bleech solution. Any comments?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by kwamhoff View Post
    I made the unfortunate mistake of spending hundreds of dollars at a pool supply store on CYA reducing solutions, Phosphate solutions, over priced Chlorine, conditioners, and everything else under the sun. I guess they saw me coming. 2 rounds of Bio-Active and my CYA level never changed. Ordered my Taylors kit yesterday off Amazon. Does anyone know of a good software to track pool test results. I love the pool math spreadsheet however I would like to track trends and gain a pool history... Any suggestions?. Also I hm totally against Big Box stores and chains at this point but I did see that Lowe's sells a 12.5% bleech solution. Any comments?
    A lot of that Lowe's pool chlorine sits outdoors in the heat for long periods of time, slowly degrading. It won't be 12.5% for very long.

If you can see a date code stamped on the box, you might be able to decode it and decide if you want to buy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kwamhoff View Post
    A lot of that Lowe's pool chlorine sits outdoors in the heat for long periods of time, slowly degrading. It won't be 12.5% for very long.

If you can see a date code stamped on the box, you might be able to decode it and decide if you want to buy.

PS: use the search box for spreadsheets.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!