Little Help...I think I'm on the right track...

May 15, 2015
Brownsville/PA
First off great site! Love all the info.
Opened the pool.....30' round above ground with 45" of water(21k gal of water). Hayward paper filter cartridge with Hayward 2.5hp pool pump and Vision cartridge and 1" Tricholor tab cartridge. Pool was a little cloudy green but I could see the bottom. Only second year opening the pool. "Shocked"it but did not SLAM(did not know what that was) with 4lbs of Calcium Hypo. Pool turned a cloudy deep blue and could not see the bottom. Then added 6gal of liquid bleach and ran the 1" tab cartridge on 6(Max). Kept the filter going for 5 days and still going. I vacuumed and brushed. Then cleaned the filter. I then added 6 gal of liquid bleach. Pool looks better but still slightly cloudy. I can see the liner bottom but not in crystal clear detail. Then I got on this site and found I needed a TF100 test kit. I was using strips and now I know they stink. Tested tonight for the first time with the kit. I live in the country with city water so water use is not a problem and draining is not a problem. Pool is in 100% sun. No shade.
Test Numbers from the pool:
FC=17
pH=7.2
CC=0
TC=17
CH=150-175
ALK=70-100
CYA=80

To make maintaining the pool easier, I think I need to do at least a 1/3 drain, more like a 50% drain to drop the CYA level to 40-50, then adjust pH then SLAM. Not sure what to do. Water seems to be clearing but not that fast. I know patience plays a role.
Any advice would be appreciated. I do not want to start adding clarifiers and algacides....although I do not think that is my problem. Thank you in advance for the help.

I think I'd avoid using CalHypo since you really don't need it, and it sometimes makes the water cloudy. Just a suggestion :angel:

Yeah, I like it too when Richard answers one of my questions. His picture is cute too :)

Yippee NOT Skippy. Richard's not Skppy's type.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.