Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Little Help...I think I'm on the right track...

1. Back To Top    #1

Little Help...I think I'm on the right track...

First off great site! Love all the info.
    Opened the pool.....30' round above ground with 45" of water(21k gal of water). Hayward paper filter cartridge with Hayward 2.5hp pool pump and Vision cartridge and 1" Tricholor tab cartridge. Pool was a little cloudy green but I could see the bottom. Only second year opening the pool. "Shocked"it but did not SLAM(did not know what that was) with 4lbs of Calcium Hypo. Pool turned a cloudy deep blue and could not see the bottom. Then added 6gal of liquid bleach and ran the 1" tab cartridge on 6(Max). Kept the filter going for 5 days and still going. I vacuumed and brushed. Then cleaned the filter. I then added 6 gal of liquid bleach. Pool looks better but still slightly cloudy. I can see the liner bottom but not in crystal clear detail. Then I got on this site and found I needed a TF100 test kit. I was using strips and now I know they stink. Tested tonight for the first time with the kit. I live in the country with city water so water use is not a problem and draining is not a problem. Pool is in 100% sun. No shade.
    Test Numbers from the pool:
    FC=17
    pH=7.2
    CC=0
    TC=17
    CH=150-175
    ALK=70-100
    CYA=80

To make maintaining the pool easier, I think I need to do at least a 1/3 drain, more like a 50% drain to drop the CYA level to 40-50, then adjust pH then SLAM. Not sure what to do. Water seems to be clearing but not that fast. I know patience plays a role.
    Any advice would be appreciated. I do not want to start adding clarifiers and algacides....although I do not think that is my problem. Thank you in advance for the help.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Little Help...I think I'm on the right track...

Welcome!

You have a winning strategy. Lower CYA, adjust pH, and hit it. The more frequently you replenish the lost FC, the faster it goes.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

THANK YOU RICHARD! Out of all of the people to reply, I was hoping you would. After reading 100's of posts, you Sir are the most knowledgeable man out there! Thanks!

4. Back To Top    #4

I think I'd avoid using CalHypo since you really don't need it, and it sometimes makes the water cloudy. Just a suggestion

Yeah, I like it too when Richard answers one of my questions. His picture is cute too

Yippee NOT Skippy. Richard's not Skppy's type.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

LOL!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank You for the advice! Almost done draining and getting ready for the refill. I will stop using the Cal-hypo. I will let you know how it all works out.