Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 18' Round Dead Zones

1. Back To Top    #1

18' Round Dead Zones

I have an 18' and have two dead zones I can't figure out how to fix. One is the curve just past the inlet eye because, despite how hard I turn the eye, the flow doesn't hit the wall until about 15' down. The other is down flow side of my Confer entry steps. Brushing DAILY manages the problem. If I don't brush daily I will get algae in those areas. The rest of the pool will be crystal clear and sparkling.

I read some old posts but not sure the best correction. Should I continue to brush or is it worth trying one of the 90 degree inlet products? Would running my pump on high help with the steps or should I trash them and go with a ladder?

Thanks in advance.
    18'x54" Round AGP, 7,600 Gallons
    150 sq ft Cartridge Filter, 2-speed 2hp pump (Hard Plumbed)
    TFPC Method
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 18' Round Dead Zones

It may or may not help you, but...

I discovered that 3/4" PVC pipe can be press-fit inside my return eyeballs. So I cut some short pieces and I've been experimenting with Tees and 45's and 90's to adjust my flow. Everything is just friction fit, so I can pull out the unsightly things if there will be curious kids in the pool. You might get lucky and discover you can do something similar.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

http://www.waterwayplastics.com/prod...gs-eyeballs-2/

You can try either the slotted eye or the 90 degree bend, picked up both of them fairly cheap, I think less than 3 bucks each.
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

I grabbed a 90 elbow n increased the eyeball n pushed that on and I Can point it down to the bottom or let it ripple the top along the wall and wow I'm impressed with it, I'll never put the eyeball back on.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I have an intex but I changed my fittings to standard Hayward 1.5" threaded fittings. I bought a 90 degree threaded pvc elbow at Lowes and screwed it into my return. I tried the official eyeball fittings and didn't like them but the pvc elbow is awesome! It makes a nice whirlpool.
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. Beens's idea was easiest and seems to have solved my problem. Time will tell for sure, but it's keeping the flow at the wall. I did have to wrap the threads with Teflon tape to keep enough tension so I can adjust it where I want and it will stay. If I tighten it all of the way down it if facing the skimmer.

Thanks again for the help.
    18'x54" Round AGP, 7,600 Gallons
    150 sq ft Cartridge Filter, 2-speed 2hp pump (Hard Plumbed)
    TFPC Method
    TF-100 Test Kit