Impossible Brown Stains

May 13, 2015
Baltimore, MD
Hi,

When I opened my pool this year, there were a lot of brown stains. None of this was there when I closed the pool late September. Thought it was algae, but it wouldn't come off. Finally I drained the pool and took some pictures (below). I have applied bleach to these areas, the stains laughed at that. Tried MA, no real lightening there either although it did fizz.

I have also noticed these stalactite like formations on the vertical surfaces and nodules on the floor. Do I have a calcium deposit issue? Looking very closely at the brown stains they look more like mineral deposits than stain. Really would appreciate some help because I am at a loss.

20150514_084551_resized.jpg20150514_084600_resized.jpgpic1.jpgpic4.jpg

Well, I thought I would close the loop here.
I ended up doing an acid wash. And I did it myself (LOL). First at 50-50 concentration...the scaling (and I am pretty sure that is what it was) laughed at that. So I graduated to 100% acid with BIO-DEX Plaster White N Brite (I really recommend the stuff). It did the job. See pic from today.

pool%20small.jpg

I’m pretty sure my situation was directly related to my own laziness. Oh, I checked my chorine and pH about every week and they were OK. But I never took the time to understand the complexities of pool chemistry and balance. Because of the good folks here I am a TFPC convert and have developed an aversion to the pool stores and their guesses and magical potions.

Got myself a K-2006 test kit and am developing a testing cadence. My numbers as of today:

FC 4
CC 0
PH 7.4
TA 70
CH 160
CYA 40

I know my plaster pool is low on CH and am about to run out to get some to get it up to 250.
Again, thanks so much for this resource and I’ll be a regular reader from here on out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.