Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Impossible Brown Stains

1. Back To Top    #1

Impossible Brown Stains

Hi,

When I opened my pool this year, there were a lot of brown stains. None of this was there when I closed the pool late September. Thought it was algae, but it wouldn't come off. Finally I drained the pool and took some pictures (below). I have applied bleach to these areas, the stains laughed at that. Tried MA, no real lightening there either although it did fizz.

I have also noticed these stalactite like formations on the vertical surfaces and nodules on the floor. Do I have a calcium deposit issue? Looking very closely at the brown stains they look more like mineral deposits than stain. Really would appreciate some help because I am at a loss.

20150514_084551_resized.jpg20150514_084600_resized.jpgpic1.jpgpic4.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Impossible Brown Stains

It looks like you have algae embedded into Calcium scale. Or some Iron.

Is the pool still empty? How handy are you? A relevent thread:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-REPORT-POSTED

You might try other terms like bead blasting or soda blasting.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I've tested for iron, I get no reaction.

Yes, it is still empty. Honestly I don't have time to do the work myself, I just need to know what needs to be done.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by allanski View Post
    I've tested for iron, I get no reaction.

Yes, it is still empty. Honestly I don't have time to do the work myself, I just need to know what needs to be done.
    If you have no time but you do have money, call a pool company and ask about surface blasting.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, I thought I would close the loop here.
    I ended up doing an acid wash. And I did it myself (LOL). First at 50-50 concentration...the scaling (and I am pretty sure that is what it was) laughed at that. So I graduated to 100% acid with BIO-DEX Plaster White N Brite (I really recommend the stuff). It did the job. See pic from today.

I’m pretty sure my situation was directly related to my own laziness. Oh, I checked my chorine and pH about every week and they were OK. But I never took the time to understand the complexities of pool chemistry and balance. Because of the good folks here I am a TFPC convert and have developed an aversion to the pool stores and their guesses and magical potions.

Got myself a K-2006 test kit and am developing a testing cadence. My numbers as of today:

FC 4
    CC 0
    PH 7.4
    TA 70
    CH 160
    CYA 40

I know my plaster pool is low on CH and am about to run out to get some to get it up to 250.
    Again, thanks so much for this resource and I’ll be a regular reader from here on out.