Plaster damage from trichlor tabs

Aug 1, 2012
According to my pool guy these brown spots are the result of trichlor tabs and is permanent until I re-plaster my pool in a few years. Is there anyway to get rid of these spots, cover them up with plaster repair kit, acid wash, etc? They look absolutely horrible in the pool.

Jared,
you need to find a new pool guy.

Trichlor tabs not in themselves, reason for staining your plaster. There are reasons why we dont recommend using them as a primary source of chlorine, but staining isnt one of them.

The stains could be one of many things.
calcium scaling
metal staining from using algaecides with copper in it
metal staining from using fill water high in iron content
staining from lawn fertilizers or chemicals that may have metals in them

Stains can also be organic in nature.

Here is a couple of tests for you to do that maybe will shed some light on the situation.
take one of our trichlor tabs and rub it for a few minutes directly on a stain. If a stain lightens where youve been rubbing it, then the stain is organic in nature.

Get a bottle of vitamin C pills. Put a few in a sock or wrap in in a handkerchief and put a rock in there with it.
Place the sock on a stain and leave it there till the pills dissolve. If the stain is lighter, then it is metal in nature.

If it isnt organic or metal, then its likely calcium related. No easy test for that, and pics of it would help.

We hear at TFP rely upon accurate and trustworth water test results to try and figure out wwhats going on... that along with knowing which chemicals that folks use to maintain their pools. But i can assure you though, the tabs didnt do it.

I will try those suggestions to remove the stain. As far as a new pool guy everyone has lied to me to some extent. First one I wanted to fix the pool light and he quoted me $500 to fix it since it needed a entire new fixture. Used this forum got some silicon sealant for the gasket and a new bulb problem solved. Second guy had come out to get quote on cleaning my pool and possibly replace my pump lied to my face saying it was loud because of the bearing going out and needed replaced immediately. The pump always sounded like that. Third guy which I am using said the pump was fine but to save money in the long run to replace it. I live outside of Vegas so not many work out this way. This guys seems more honest then the others I have tried.

Jared,
you need to find a new pool guy.

Trichlor tabs not in themselves, reason for staining your plaster. There are reasons why we dont recommend using them as a primary source of chlorine, but staining isnt one of them.

The stains could be one of many things.
calcium scaling
metal staining from using algaecides with copper in it
metal staining from using fill water high in iron content
staining from lawn fertilizers or chemicals that may have metals in them

Stains can also be organic in nature.

Here is a couple of tests for you to do that maybe will shed some light on the situation.
take one of our trichlor tabs and rub it for a few minutes directly on a stain. If a stain lightens where youve been rubbing it, then the stain is organic in nature.

Get a bottle of vitamin C pills. Put a few in a sock or wrap in in a handkerchief and put a rock in there with it.
Place the sock on a stain and leave it there till the pills dissolve. If the stain is lighter, then it is metal in nature.

If it isnt organic or metal, then its likely calcium related. No easy test for that, and pics of it would help.

We hear at TFP rely upon accurate and trustworth water test results to try and figure out wwhats going on... that along with knowing which chemicals that folks use to maintain their pools. But i can assure you though, the tabs didnt do it.

well man, unfortunately, your experience is not uncommon with folks who work in the pool biz.
selling you stuff is how they make a living. In most cases, whether you need it or not dosesnt seem to really matter to them.

One thing for sure though, no one here will try and sell you anything. And all the advice available is free.

I always double check anything that has a high $ attached to it such as the pool lite or pump to verify there assessment was correct. Then check the forums/YouTube/Google to see if I could do it myself. But in some instance like the pool pump I am stuck getting a professional to do it since the local $200 rebate and warranty requires it for the Pentair Intelliflo VS. Most people I know take them for there word and pay without question.

Did I miss the pictures? First post seems to be referring to pictures.
Sorry I thought i included them
Sorry I thought I included them

UlekmsY.jpg

LUniNBm.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.