Checking in from South Texas

May 15, 2015
Spring Texas
Howdy from South TX.

I grew up swimming on this pool and now it's time for me to maintain it - the pool is about 40 yr old. Been replacing a few things as I go.

Replaced DE filter grids, skimmer baskets, gasket on Multiport Main Valve, new backup valve, rebuilt Polaris 380(maybe I should have bought a new one) due to the fact that I need to also replace the leader hose since the hose is missing floaters and seems to be leaking from the connectors.

Pool Size about 30K gallons

One of my questions is why would the water pressure drop on the jets. The pump starts strong and then it just drops in pressure and the gasket on the pump starts to leak.

I want to replace the gasket but the model number has rubbed off. can anyone identify ? seems to be a Howard model from Leslie's pool.

Hey, puredrive, welcome to TFP!!

I'm sorry I don't know the answer you need, but it will get posted. I wanted to say how much I like the opening picture. Fabulous shot, and beautiful setting. Welcome aboard!

As a fellow-South Texan, welcome. I love that opening pic. We have a bit of land ourself, but don't have the good fortune to have the river as a backdrop. Sweet! As for the pump, you sound handy and willing to do some self-help if possible. Sometimes it just boils-down to cost and whether or not it's worth the effort. Might have to decide - just toss it or get a new one. A pain either way. Good luck.

Thanks Red Neckerson- the leak is coming from the outer seal of the pump housing. I'm attaching another couple of photos to see if anyone can identify, I would hat to take it to the pool store and pay premium prices.
I've been successful in the past, making gaskets for these centrifugal pump housings. You can purchase gasket material at your local hardware store, worth a shot. There's also a goop called "form-a-gasket" or some such, you can try along with the gasket material you choose. I don't have to tell you not to bother with any paper based gasket material.:)

It's a Hayward Super II pump. It's private labeled for Leslies. Try replacing the seal and housing gasket. Get a rebuild kit that includes the seal and gaskets. The white discoloration is a concern. I would suspect that it's due to chemical exposure. I wodul suspect that it's probably from chlorine tabs in a nearby feeder. What is the filter pressure when operating?

It could also be a cracked housing. Overall, the pump is in rough shape. The rust patterns on the motor suggest a fairly long leak period. The blue glue on the mta coming out of the pressure side on top suggests prior attempts to fix a leak there.

If the pump ran with insufficient water flow, the pvc could have been damaged and cause leaks on the pump in and out lines.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's a Hayward Super II pump. It's private labeled for Leslies. Try replacing the seal and housing gasket. Get a rebuild kit that includes the seal and gaskets. The white discoloration is a concern. I would suspect that it's due to chemical exposure. I wodul suspect that it's probably from chlorine tabs in a nearby feeder. What is the filter pressure when operating?

Thank you sir! Yes, a clhorinator is near by, I been trying to open it and inspect the unit. But it's sealed shut. I have not been able to open it. The pressure is about 10 psi when in operation.

Hey, puredrive, welcome to TFP!!

I'm sorry I don't know the answer you need, but it will get posted. I wanted to say how much I like the opening picture. Fabulous shot, and beautiful setting. Welcome aboard!

Thanks. I took the picture with an iPhone 6 plus and used an HDR filter on it.

As a fellow-South Texan, welcome. I love that opening pic. We have a bit of land ourself, but don't have the good fortune to have the river as a backdrop. Sweet! As for the pump, you sound handy and willing to do some self-help if possible. Sometimes it just boils-down to cost and whether or not it's worth the effort. Might have to decide - just toss it or get a new one. A pain either way. Good luck.

Thanks! They call them "resacas" they are natural and at one point they were used for agricultural irrigation purposes.

It could also be a cracked housing. Overall, the pump is in rough shape. The rust patterns on the motor suggest a fairly long leak period. The blue glue on the mta coming out of the pressure side on top suggests prior attempts to fix a leak there.

If the pump ran with insufficient water flow, the pvc could have been damaged and cause leaks on the pump in and out lines.

The pump is indeed in bad shape, I just took it out for inspection and the rust has gotten the best of it. It's a GE 2 hp unit. I been reading about variable speed pumps mainly for the energy savings that it can provide. Any advise on this subject?

Welcome. If you're going to go with a vs, look into pentair. They are good pumps.