Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Checking in from South Texas

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Spring Texas
    Posts
    22

    Checking in from South Texas

    Howdy from South TX.

    I grew up swimming on this pool and now it's time for me to maintain it - the pool is about 40 yr old. Been replacing a few things as I go.

    Replaced DE filter grids, skimmer baskets, gasket on Multiport Main Valve, new backup valve, rebuilt Polaris 380(maybe I should have bought a new one) due to the fact that I need to also replace the leader hose since the hose is missing floaters and seems to be leaking from the connectors.


    Pool Size about 30K gallons






    One of my questions is why would the water pressure drop on the jets. The pump starts strong and then it just drops in pressure and the gasket on the pump starts to leak.

    I want to replace the gasket but the model number has rubbed off. can anyone identify ? seems to be a Howard model from Leslie's pool.






  2. Back To Top    #2

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Wildorado Texas
    Posts
    252

    Re: Checking in from South Texas

    Welcome to TFP puredrive!

    I can't tell from the pictures if that leak is on the outer seal of the pump housing, or coming from the shaft seal.

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Spring Texas
    Posts
    22

    Re: Checking in from South Texas

    Thanks Red Neckerson- the leak is coming from the outer seal of the pump housing. I'm attaching another couple of photos to see if anyone can identify, I would hat to take it to the pool store and pay premium prices.






  4. Back To Top    #4
    Patrick_B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Midland TX
    Posts
    15,001

    Re: Checking in from South Texas

    Hey, puredrive, welcome to TFP!!

    I'm sorry I don't know the answer you need, but it will get posted. I wanted to say how much I like the opening picture. Fabulous shot, and beautiful setting. Welcome aboard!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

  5. Back To Top    #5
    Texas Splash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio
    Posts
    12,946

    Re: Checking in from South Texas

    As a fellow-South Texan, welcome. I love that opening pic. We have a bit of land ourself, but don't have the good fortune to have the river as a backdrop. Sweet! As for the pump, you sound handy and willing to do some self-help if possible. Sometimes it just boils-down to cost and whether or not it's worth the effort. Might have to decide - just toss it or get a new one. A pain either way. Good luck.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

  6. Back To Top    #6

    TFP Guide

    Azgirl71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Sierra Vista, Az
    Posts
    2,586

    Re: Checking in from South Texas

    Welcome to TFP! I cannot help with your problem, but there are some great people who can!
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Wildorado Texas
    Posts
    252

    Re: Checking in from South Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by puredrive View Post
    Thanks Red Neckerson- the leak is coming from the outer seal of the pump housing. I'm attaching another couple of photos to see if anyone can identify, I would hat to take it to the pool store and pay premium prices.
    I've been successful in the past, making gaskets for these centrifugal pump housings. You can purchase gasket material at your local hardware store, worth a shot. There's also a goop called "form-a-gasket" or some such, you can try along with the gasket material you choose. I don't have to tell you not to bother with any paper based gasket material.

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Re: Checking in from South Texas

    It's a Hayward Super II pump. It's private labeled for Leslies. Try replacing the seal and housing gasket. Get a rebuild kit that includes the seal and gaskets. The white discoloration is a concern. I would suspect that it's due to chemical exposure. I wodul suspect that it's probably from chlorine tabs in a nearby feeder. What is the filter pressure when operating?

  9. Back To Top    #9
    BoDarville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Posts
    3,840

    Re: Checking in from South Texas

    Welcome to TFP! Looks like you are getting some good advice on this thread so far.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

  10. Back To Top    #10

    Re: Checking in from South Texas

    It could also be a cracked housing. Overall, the pump is in rough shape. The rust patterns on the motor suggest a fairly long leak period. The blue glue on the mta coming out of the pressure side on top suggests prior attempts to fix a leak there.

    If the pump ran with insufficient water flow, the pvc could have been damaged and cause leaks on the pump in and out lines.

  11. Back To Top    #11

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Spring Texas
    Posts
    22

    Re: Checking in from South Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    It's a Hayward Super II pump. It's private labeled for Leslies. Try replacing the seal and housing gasket. Get a rebuild kit that includes the seal and gaskets. The white discoloration is a concern. I would suspect that it's due to chemical exposure. I wodul suspect that it's probably from chlorine tabs in a nearby feeder. What is the filter pressure when operating?
    Thank you sir! Yes, a clhorinator is near by, I been trying to open it and inspect the unit. But it's sealed shut. I have not been able to open it. The pressure is about 10 psi when in operation.





    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    Hey, puredrive, welcome to TFP!!

    I'm sorry I don't know the answer you need, but it will get posted. I wanted to say how much I like the opening picture. Fabulous shot, and beautiful setting. Welcome aboard!
    Thanks. I took the picture with an iPhone 6 plus and used an HDR filter on it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    As a fellow-South Texan, welcome. I love that opening pic. We have a bit of land ourself, but don't have the good fortune to have the river as a backdrop. Sweet! As for the pump, you sound handy and willing to do some self-help if possible. Sometimes it just boils-down to cost and whether or not it's worth the effort. Might have to decide - just toss it or get a new one. A pain either way. Good luck.


    Thanks! They call them "resacas" they are natural and at one point they were used for agricultural irrigation purposes.

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    It could also be a cracked housing. Overall, the pump is in rough shape. The rust patterns on the motor suggest a fairly long leak period. The blue glue on the mta coming out of the pressure side on top suggests prior attempts to fix a leak there.

    If the pump ran with insufficient water flow, the pvc could have been damaged and cause leaks on the pump in and out lines.

    The pump is indeed in bad shape, I just took it out for inspection and the rust has gotten the best of it. It's a GE 2 hp unit. I been reading about variable speed pumps mainly for the energy savings that it can provide. Any advise on this subject?

  12. Back To Top    #12
    Mod Squad pooldv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    23,994

    Re: Checking in from South Texas

    Welcome to TFP! Love that pool and view!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

  13. Back To Top    #13
    Casey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    SW PA
    Posts
    10,157

    Re: Checking in from South Texas

    Welcome. If you're going to go with a vs, look into pentair. They are good pumps.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

    24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •