Sand Filter question

May 15, 2015
Smyrna, ga
photo 1 (5).jpg

Not sure if this photo has uploaded, but we purchased a home with a pool last September. It is about 21000 gallon gunnite / plaster pool with 0.75hp (1.5 SF) superpump and sand filter. The tag on the sand filter indicates "Super Clear" and lists specs on 3 models (S400, S-500, and S-600, with a small blue water drop in the S400 box). The filter is about 24" in diameter and has a 1.5 in Haywood multiport on top.

The question I have: is this filter really a S400 (which indicates 100 lbs of sand, 35 gpm flow rate. Doesn't seem like a lot of filter media for a pool this size.

The S-500 and S-600 show 175# and 225# respectively as well as 40 gpm and 50 gpm flow rates. I was thinking this was a legacy Hayward filter, but not sure.

Planning on upgrading pump before June to a 2-speed or variable speed (the latter may be worth the slight upcharge for flexibility, understanding that in my area, the economics are not perfect).

Thoughts are appreciated.

That little blue droplet of water in the S400 category sure seems to indicate that it is. If so, yes, I think it is a bit undersized for your pool volume. I have a 22" 250lb. sand filter on my 13,500 gal. pool.

That # of sand lbs. it says it requires sounds suspicious compared to mine which is smaller and holds over twice as much.

Our Canadian office is closed today for a Holiday so I could not get an answer. Here is a run down and make sure you measure the diameter of the filter closely. Also the sand should end up about half way up the filter. DO NOT OVER FILL 16" filter 100lbs, 18" filter 150lbs. 21" filter 200lbs. 24" filter 300lbs. All being said never fill it past half way up the inside of the filter. Always add water first to protect the laterals and use #20 silica sand or an approved sand alternative. I would go by the label.

Our Canadian office is closed today for a Holiday so I could not get an answer. Here is a run down and make sure you measure the diameter of the filter closely. Also the sand should end up about half way up the filter. DO NOT OVER FILL 16" filter 100lbs, 18" filter 150lbs. 21" filter 200lbs. 24" filter 300lbs. All being said never fill it past half way up the inside of the filter. Always add water first to protect the laterals and use #20 silica sand or an approved sand alternative. I would go by the label.

Am I to assume that the diameter measurement is around the outside of the tank. Will pull out my pi tape.

Thanks.

Diameter confirmed to be 24.6". I am guessing the blue water drop is in the wrong box. Opening the filter to deep clean shortly. I have 100 lbs sand on hand and will pick another 50. Not sure if this filter has ever been opened. And the pressure gauge not working.

Hayward Pool, any insights into filtration areas for the above references?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.