Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand Filter question

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand Filter question

photo 1 (5).jpg

Not sure if this photo has uploaded, but we purchased a home with a pool last September. It is about 21000 gallon gunnite / plaster pool with 0.75hp (1.5 SF) superpump and sand filter. The tag on the sand filter indicates "Super Clear" and lists specs on 3 models (S400, S-500, and S-600, with a small blue water drop in the S400 box). The filter is about 24" in diameter and has a 1.5 in Haywood multiport on top.

The question I have: is this filter really a S400 (which indicates 100 lbs of sand, 35 gpm flow rate. Doesn't seem like a lot of filter media for a pool this size.

The S-500 and S-600 show 175# and 225# respectively as well as 40 gpm and 50 gpm flow rates. I was thinking this was a legacy Hayward filter, but not sure.

Planning on upgrading pump before June to a 2-speed or variable speed (the latter may be worth the slight upcharge for flexibility, understanding that in my area, the economics are not perfect).

Thoughts are appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sand Filter question

Welcome!

Good question. Does the filter look like the one in this link? It shows 21" diameter holds 200 lbs.

Maybe a picture of the whole filter so someone could recognize it and compare to their own?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

A few more pictures of the whole filter. As indicated, it is about 24" in diameter and roughly 29" high. I plan to open it this weekend and look to see where sand is at, perhaps add a bit more.

photo 2 (8).jpgphoto (5).jpg

4. Back To Top    #4

That little blue droplet of water in the S400 category sure seems to indicate that it is. If so, yes, I think it is a bit undersized for your pool volume. I have a 22" 250lb. sand filter on my 13,500 gal. pool.

That # of sand lbs. it says it requires sounds suspicious compared to mine which is smaller and holds over twice as much.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Our Canadian office is closed today for a Holiday so I could not get an answer. Here is a run down and make sure you measure the diameter of the filter closely. Also the sand should end up about half way up the filter. DO NOT OVER FILL 16" filter 100lbs, 18" filter 150lbs. 21" filter 200lbs. 24" filter 300lbs. All being said never fill it past half way up the inside of the filter. Always add water first to protect the laterals and use #20 silica sand or an approved sand alternative. I would go by the label.
    Hayward Pool Tech
    80+ Years of Technologically Advanced Pool Product Manufacturing
    poolside@haywardnet.com

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Hayward Pool View Post
    Our Canadian office is closed today for a Holiday so I could not get an answer. Here is a run down and make sure you measure the diameter of the filter closely. Also the sand should end up about half way up the filter. DO NOT OVER FILL 16" filter 100lbs, 18" filter 150lbs. 21" filter 200lbs. 24" filter 300lbs. All being said never fill it past half way up the inside of the filter. Always add water first to protect the laterals and use #20 silica sand or an approved sand alternative. I would go by the label.
    Am I to assume that the diameter measurement is around the outside of the tank. Will pull out my pi tape.

Thanks.

7. Back To Top    #7

Diameter confirmed to be 24.6". I am guessing the blue water drop is in the wrong box. Opening the filter to deep clean shortly. I have 100 lbs sand on hand and will pick another 50. Not sure if this filter has ever been opened. And the pressure gauge not working.

Hayward Pool, any insights into filtration areas for the above references?

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

A bit off topic, but replace that gauge. It's inexpensive and a VERY important parft of managing your pool correctly.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Gauge replaced. Back flushed and rinsed. Running at 20 psi.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Not sure here, I would call our Canadian office for advice on this filter. Could be mismarked.
    Hayward Pool Tech
    80+ Years of Technologically Advanced Pool Product Manufacturing
    poolside@haywardnet.com