Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need Advice on Water Balancing and Water Bugs

1. Back To Top    #1

Unhappy Need Advice on Water Balancing and Water Bugs

We finished our pool late last year and have been using Pool Math to keep it balanced. But something got away from us recently and we could use some advice I think. The thing I first noticed were bugs swimming in our water last night! Ewe! My research indicates that these are probably water boats and backswimmers which may indicate an algae problem? I haven't seen any sign of algae but last week we had a terrible rain and the pool was very murky in the morning. We tested the water and there was 0 FC. So we added bleach and got it back up very quickly. But a week later I notice these bugs. Here are our test results as of this morning:

FC - 11
    CC - 0.5
    PH - 7.4
    TA - 70
    CH - 200
    CYA - 50
    Temp - 81

Pool Math says to add 13oz (vol) Borax and 56oz (vol) Baking Soda which we added today. Tomorrow we'll add the recommended 71 oz Calcium Chloride.

OK, so far?

My question is, Should we have slammed the pool since the FC went to 0? We've never had any CC showing at all until this week, so something has definitely changed.

Can we have your advice please?

Thanks much,
    Lynn
    New 11000 gallon chlorine IG, Tanning ledge with flolite bubblers, 2 skimmers, 6 returns, LED lights, 18" raised spa, wet edge northshore caribbean pebble finish, Jandy 2 hp VS pump, Jandy 1.5 hp water feature pump, Jandy cartridge filter, auto chlorinator, 400k btu heater, travertine paver deck, zodiac mx8 cleaner, iAqualink and spa side pda

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Need Advice on Water Balancing and Water Bugs

There's zero harm in bringing it up to SLAM numbers until you pass the 3 SLAM criteria. If your water looks good I'd bet it would be a day or two SLAM job. Just make sure you pass all three criteria.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree. Your pool was exposed to a lot with all the rain and muck, things can easily be different. It might not hurt things to bring it up to SLAM level and monitor a few days.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

I wanted to report back on my progress. I completed a two day slam and as of this morning, passed the three steps a successful slam. And this morning, the swimming bugs had moved on! Yay! Amazing how solving one problem fixed the other! Today, pool looks clear and bright even though it is overcast today. Thank you very much for this valuable site. We've ditched the pucks as our cya was getting out of control and now will only use TFP's method. I've attached pictures as it seems like many of you like them. Thank you again.

Soon to be a lifetime supporter,image.jpgimage.jpg
    Lynn
    New 11000 gallon chlorine IG, Tanning ledge with flolite bubblers, 2 skimmers, 6 returns, LED lights, 18" raised spa, wet edge northshore caribbean pebble finish, Jandy 2 hp VS pump, Jandy 1.5 hp water feature pump, Jandy cartridge filter, auto chlorinator, 400k btu heater, travertine paver deck, zodiac mx8 cleaner, iAqualink and spa side pda

5. Back To Top    #5

We do like a sparkly clean pool! Good job!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach