My Slam

Tested Chlorine and it was below 10, so ran all tests. Numbers are below.

FC: 7
CC: 0 (dropped from 2.8 at initial test)
TC: 7
pH: 7.0 (dropped from 7.2 at initial test)
TA: 70 (dropped from 100 at initial test)
CH: 210 (same as initial test)
CYA: 30 (about same at initial test)

When I tested earlier, it was around 13, and dropped to 7 during the day. We've had a lot of sun all day, but that seems like quite a drop given the air temps only got around 70. Water still looks amazing, but should I be concerned? My plan is below.

- Raise pH up to 7.5
- Raise CYA up to 40 to help keep FC a little more stable
- Keep FC around 5 per the Chlorine/CYA chart

I assume I can do all three at the same time as I don't recall seeing any negative interactions between the Borax and stabilizer.

How's this sound and any thoughts on the FC dropping so much during the day?

13 FC at 30 CYA is a pretty potent solution. You lose a greater percentage to sunlight with lower CYA and a greater PPM at higher FC levels. So you have a double whammy. According to the third graph in this thread , at 10 FC and 30 CYA you'll lose .8 FC/hour to the sun. Looking at the various slopes, it doesn't take much imagination to see that at 13 & 30 it would be closer to 1 FC/hour. I think it's too early to worry.

Thanks for the reassurance. I just tested again and the FC is still at 7, so it's been over 3 hours with some sun and no change, so I think I'm ok. I'll test again in the morning to make sure it's stable. Feels weird not adding chlorine after 4 days of adding it after every test.

FC last night was 7. This morning was 6. Tested again when I got home from work and FC was 3.5, so I lost 2.5 throughout the cloudy day. Not too bad. Will raise it up to 5 and do another OCLT tonight just to be safe.

I want to raise my CYA about 10 ppm, but don't have any stabilizer. Went to the store to get it yesterday, but they were out. I do have some trichlor pucks that the previous owner left. Can I just use those to raise the CYA or should I just go buy some stabilizer. Only reason I'm thinking of using the pucks is to get a feel for how they work for times when I go on vacation or am away for a weekend. If using the pucks is a decent idea, how much do I use to get the CYA up about 10 ppm? Don't know the first thing about using them.

I was planning on raising the pH from 7.0 up to 7.5 and raising the CYA from 30 to 40, while keeping FC around 5. I haven't had a chance to get to the store to get some Borax until today and when I tested the pH it was up to 7.2. I know that's not ideal, but if it's raising on its own, should I add anything? We have had no swimmers yet, but have had a little rain, which I guess could have contributed to it. TA is still at 70.

My question is, at this point, do I really need to do anything or can I just leave it as it is and monitor? Is there any issue swimming with pH at 7.2? I may still raise the CYA to 40, but FC has been fairly stable, so not too concerned about that at this point.

Quick update and a question. Everything is going well; Trouble Free, you might say :) All numbers are in range and have only been adding bleach everyday to keep it around 5. So glad I found this site.

My question is...is there any reason to check pH or TA if we're not going to have any swimmers for several days? Right now, pH is 7.4, TA is 70-80. pH has remained pretty stable for the last 4-5 days and we won't have anyone swimming until the weekend, maybe later. Do I have any reason to keep an eye on it, or can I just check those numbers a day or two before people will be swimming again and get them in line at that point?

I'm trying to figure out my testing schedule and how often I need to do each of the tests. Right now I'm checking FC & CC each night and adding bleach at that point and have been checking pH every 2 days and it's stayed right around 7.2-7.4.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks. Now that it looks like I've got this going well, one more question...Anyone got any suggestions on what to do with all these empty bottles of bleach? I've got about 35 now and figure to go through about 1 every other day, which should leave me using around 60 more for the summer. That means I'll go through about 100 bottles and I hate just throwing them all away.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.