My Slam

Here are my numbers:

FC: 1
    CC: 2.8
    PH: 7.2
    TA: 100
    CH: 220
    CYA: 30-40. Will use 40 to be safe

I have brought my pH level down to 7.2 and will be adding the chlorine in a few minutes to get FC up to 16. Plan on testing every 2 hours or so initially and adding bleach to keep the level at 16. Will brush the pool each day.

Anything else I need to be considering?

Thanks,
    Kevin

Sharkline Venture 16,000 gallon AG. SwimPro Voyager cartridge filter. Taylor K-2006 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My Slam

How is the pool looking right now?
    AG 18k gal 28' circular pine straw collector, Hayward S220T, Power-Flo Matrix 1.5 HP
    Zodiac Ranger cleaner w/ Twister and a PoolSkim
    12" red, green, yellow, and white beach ball
    K-2006

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Sounds like a great plan.

- - - Updated - - -

Brush a fee times a day if you can. It will help.
    few not fee
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

Pool looks pretty good right now. Fairly clear, though with a definite green tint to it. Can easily see the bottom when looking straight down, but when looking to the other side, the bottom disappears just past the middle of the pool.
    Kevin

Sharkline Venture 16,000 gallon AG. SwimPro Voyager cartridge filter. Taylor K-2006 test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

Update: 5-15 8:07pm

First test was about an hour after the initial slam and the FC level was 6. Got it back to 16 and just checked again after about 3 hours. The FC level was 10, so looking pretty good. Can already tell the water is a bit clearer. Can see the bottom almost on the opposite end!

Quick question on the FC test. After adding around 15 drops using the 10ml sample, the water would get colorless, but after about 5 seconds would get a pink tint to it. Does that mean I need to keep adding drops? Do I wait until it completely turns clear even after waiting?

Thanks,
    Kevin

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

You are done after the 15 drops. When it sits it will turn pink again and that is normal.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

7. Back To Top    #7

Boo . In that case, my FC number was about 7.5, not 10. And I probably didn't put enough chlorine in this time. Oh well, I'll test again around 10pm and add enough to get me through the night, hopefully.

Should I go higher than 16 for the overnight hours? Probably won't test again until around 7am. That'd be 9 hours.
    Kevin

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

You can shoot just above your current target if you want to. Make sure you leave the filter on.
    Lisa

9. Back To Top    #9

Add just a bit more to help get through the night, but tested this morning at 7 and FC was at 1. Got it back to 16 and will test again in an hour or two. The pool is looking very good, though. No more green and pretty clear. Feel like I'm getting close, but the loss of FC overnight was a little discouraging.
    Kevin

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Hang in there! You are doing everything right. Sometimes it takes a bit to pass the OLCT. Keep brushing too.
    Lisa

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks for the support. I raised the FC back to 16 at around 7, then checked at 10 and it was back down to .5. Was hoping that the Bleach I bought from Wal-Mart wasn't bad, so I was giving it one more try. Raised it up to 16, or maybe a little higher at 10, then checked again at noon at it was at 13, the highest I've even gotten. The best part was that the CC, which had been around 2.8, was down to about .5. I'm hoping this means I'm nearing the end, but we'll see when I test it at 2.

Also, it started raining around 11 and looks like rain is in the forecast for the better part of the next several days. I'm sure I've read that it shouldn't affect anything, but wanted to double check. Any extra steps need to be taken when performing a SLAM in the rain? I assume I need to keep as much rain water out of the test water, but other than that?
    Kevin

12. Back To Top    #12

OK, so I tested around 2pm, FC was 12.5, CC 0.5. Added bleach to get back to 16.
    At 3:45, FC was 14, CC was 0.5. Added bleach to get back to 16
    At 8:15, FC was 10.5, but CC was at 0.0!! I added bleach to get back to 16.

Water is clear, CC is 0, so I think I'm going to try the OCLT tonight. Is that a good idea? Was planning on testing around 10pm and then again in the morning around 6-7, before the sun hit the pool directly. Though it's supposed to rain all day, so probably not much sun to begin with.

Thoughts? Should I go ahead with the overnight test or wait until the FC stabilizes a little more?
    Kevin

13. Back To Top    #13

Sure, go ahead and run the test.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

14. Back To Top    #14

Tested at 10pm and FC was 15.5 and CC was still 0.0. Fingers crossed it stays that way until morning.
    Kevin

15. Back To Top    #15

It's really a shame you didn't post pictures along the way. This is a good addition to the Inspirational Threads thread.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

16. Back To Top    #16

Hopefully you'll pass. If not, try n brush every nook n cranny,in your ladders, steps, returns, n lights.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

Fingers crossed you pass. I agree with Richard. Pics would be great!
    Lisa

18. Back To Top    #18

I wish I would have taken more along the way, but here are a few from day 1 and today (day 3).

So, last night was 15.5, and testing this morning, FC was 9 CC was still at 0, so that good. I'll work all day today brushing and cleaning everywhere and see if that help.

What I don't understand is, I thought that CC was the result of organic matters using up the free chlorine. If CC is remaining at 0, why is FC dropping so much?

Day 1 before initial slam:
    17743444606_c82e68c78f_z.jpg

17147290454_a0b8084583_z.jpg

Morning of Day 3:
    17769776095_0b6b9852e6_z.jpg

17583560089_4945e78b36_z.jpg
    Kevin

19. Back To Top    #19

Thanks for the pictures.
    Sorry for my english, je suis francophone
    I live in north, no ice in my pool since may 1 !
    Stylus aboveground swimming pool 45 000 liters
    18' round and 52" high with sand filter

20. Back To Top    #20

Kevin, sometimes CC won't register if there is still something in the water. That is why an OCLT is important. You have 3 criteria to pass. You are still consuming chlorine at night.

You have a Sharkline Venture and the same liner as me.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast